Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

What's the deal with it where you live? We've got two giant wheeled bins.

One if for recyclables (glass, tin, paper, etc) and they take it every two weeks.

The other one is for non-recyclable household waste. It's half the size of the first bin. We pay a $39 annual surcharge for the size we have. They take it opposite weeks from recycling.

And the last bin is the 'green' bin, for food scraps, diapers, cat poop and whatnot. It gets taken every week.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Two wheelie bins for rubbish, a grey one for household garbage, a green one for garden prunings, clippings etc. Both come in a choice of three sizes and no cost unless one of them needs replacing. Blue box(es) for glass, metal and plastic recyclebles, a yellow bag for newsprint, a blue bage for other paper. In reality it doesn't matter which bag you put paper in they take it anyway.

Pick-ups for everything are each week, except clippings which are every two weeks.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

I don't really know. I was told, but I wasn't really listening. I shall check it out.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Bruno: we're the other way 'round. The recycling bin is huge and free. The household waste bins are tiny ($10 rebate), average ($39 year), big ($133) or huge ($190).

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Big skips, one for recyclable and one for standard waste, in the bottom of my flat complex. Other than that, beside the annoying fact that a tramp sometimes sleeps there, I neither know nor care.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

No green bin. Recycling collected every week unsorted, waste for landfill also taken once a week, free bin liners provided. Pretty good service, but lots of people nonetheless use the street or don't recycle.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Five different colour-coded containers on many street corners: glass, paper, packaging, organic and can't be bothered.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Nothing to see here. Go about your business. Pay no mind to us inching closer and closer to the border, eyes darting east and west...waiting...waiting...

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

3 wheelie bins and a black box here. Green bin for general waste, blue for paper & plastic, brown for garden waste (not collected in winter, turn about other times) and black box for glass. All free (well, paid for in Council Tax anyway.)

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

In Banstead & Reigate we have a weekly wheelie binned rubbish collection which are emptied along with our boxes of recyclables, (limited to paper, card and cans). However, I'm only a 10-minute stroll from a recycling centre where I can get rid of plastic bottles, glass, metal foil and fabric & shoes.

For garden waste it's a large wheelie bin, costing £29 p.a. rising to £34 this year, collected every two weeks. Bulky item collection starts at a hefty £27 a pop, with a grading system to determine what you can dispose of, (the starting price would cover a sofa and armchair or about 12 VCRs).

The local authority recycles about 39% of its refuse and has plans to pretty much recycle all household waste as soon as funds allow. All highly laudable.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Outside the block of flats in which I live there are 6 skips into which one throws all one's rubbish. These skips are emptied daily (7 days a week) by the local waste disposal services. In addition they are constantly sifted through and analysed by a number of dedicated teams of freelance Rroma*, who take out anything that can be re-used, recycled and can in any way have any financial value attached to them.

Glass bottles tend not to make it to the rubbish, as they are automatically recycled in the fact that if you want to buy mineral water / beer etc you take the empties back to the shop and buy new ones (and if you buy new ones without supplying empties it costs a lot more). Plastic bottles have a cash value but you have to take them to some secret location known only to the Rroma, and anyway you need to bring hundreds to make it worth your while. I'm pretty sure tins and paper just end up in the landfill.

(*Yes, I do live in the third world. there is also a family of Rroma who live in a makeshift shack on the landfill site. You may have thought that this kind of thing was confined to somewhere like Manila, but here in the EU it is still the way some people scratch a deeply depressing and unhealthy living)

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Big skips, one for recyclable and one for standard waste, in the bottom of my flat complex.
                        Same, but two skips each. You have to sort the recyclables into different bags, but they all go in the same skips. Supposedly collected twice weekly, but often not.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Three wheely bins:

Brown - food and garden waste - emptied weekly.

Blue - paper, glass, plastic etc. - emptied fortnightly.

Green/grey - everything else - emptied fortnightly.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

We have a useless privatised cleaning firm, Kier, who are supposed to pick up recycled stuff from boxes provided and left outside people's homes. However, they seem unable to understand the concept of multiple-flat buildings (providing one for 10 flats), or indeed the concept of "cleaning the streets".

They're quite good at cutting costs and sacking people though, which is the main thing.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

What happens when you phone up? Don't the council handle the calls at least?

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Yes, that's council - the public sector always cops the flak. Of course, my colleagues in the local Labour party are not above regularly pointing out that the environment portfolio in our hung council is held by the Lib Dems.

Comment

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Bruno wrote:
                                  WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                  Bruno: we're the other way 'round. The recycling bin is huge and free. The household waste bins are tiny ($10 rebate), average ($39 year), big ($133) or huge ($190).
                                  Well, that's because you live in Canada, where people are by and large actually sane. Disturbingly sane when I think about it. Best keep an eye on you's.
                                  Yeah, taxing us for throwing out rubbish, it's liberty, won't have it! What's the council tax for? Wasting it on lesbian refuges and the arts and allowing criminals to roam free, I don't wonder.

/letter to local paper mode/

Anyway, the good folk at St Albans have -

1 green wheely bin - cardboard, garden stuff, food waste, shredded paper

1 black box with lid - Paper

1 black box without (some do have a spare lid the one-upping sods) - Glass, tin cans, foil, plastic bottles

1 black wheely bin - The rest.

I am continually amazed at the amount of rubbish some houses generate and the lack of recycling they put out. And also, despite having been told umpteen times that black bags left out will no longer be collected, they go in the wheely bins, out come the black bags to be left for the crows/cats/foxes/etc. Usually by the same cretins who don't recycle.

We also recycle our Tetrapaks once every couple of months, collecting enough of them to make it worthwhile a short detour to Waitrose (where the bin is situated) whilst on our way elsewhere. We generate 2-3 Tetrapaks a week, it's amazing how they mount up.

Comment

Working...
                                  X