I just lost a massive post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not an actual, physical post, like a lamp post or something, but a thread I had written on the soup I had for lunch today and how it tied in to my life and local culture. It's a bit of a shame, as I'm sure someone, somewhere, would have found it of some worth.

Still, not to worry. The main thrust of it was along the lines of "French onion soup? Do it well, or don't do it at all. ARE YOU LISTENING PARIS?" but with added reference to Arthur Miller and the McCarthy era communist witch hunts.

Some good has come out of this, mind. Whilst looking for the post, I found my door keys. This means I can pop down the offie and get a bottle of lucozade.

Actually, I'm sacking off the lucozade, and instead going for a huge bucket of still fanta from (I think) McDoogal's, a local Scottish theme restaurant we have in town.

Comment

I once lost a post where I explained how to turn base metals into gold. I'll get around to writing it sometime.

Comment

"Refresh Yourself", demands the paper cup my beverage was served in. "Nothing could be simpler than an ice cold drink, that's been perfectly poured to give you maximum refreshment. I'm lovin' it."

Perfectly poured? From what I could see, the girl pressed a button, and the drink collapsed in to the cup.

That Ronald McDonald fella is some kind of cunt, eh?

Comment

Mind, on the other side of my cup it says "Long, Tall and Cool".

Do they personalise their beakers for everyone?

Comment

I've got a good recipe for French Onion Soup.

1. Slice and sweat 3 to four medium-sized onions in a good amount of butter, and salt, over a medium heat. Stir occasionally, until the onions have caramelized and are a dark brown. This should take up to an hour.

2. Add a cup of red wine, and turn up the heat until the broth becomes syruppy.

3. Add around 1/2 litre each of chicken and beef stock, some cider, a dash of vinegar, and herbs to taste. Bring soup up to simmer.

4. Toast some cubes of bread (for croutons) and grate some hard cheese (gruyere, or cheddar will do). Ladle soup into bowls, then float croutons onto top of each, and sprinkle cheese on top, then place bowls under a grill for no more than a minute, until the cheese has started to melt into the soup.

5. Remove from grill, sniff the foul ordure that you have produced, gag, grimace and pour entire contents down nearest available latrine before opening a couple of cans of Baxter's, announcing to your guests "Don't worry, starters are almost ready!".

Comment

EIM wrote:
              "French onion soup? Do it well, or don't do it at all. ARE YOU LISTENING PARIS?"
              I just changed my mind about a post.

I was going to tell you that the above opinion is completely nuts, and that you should go to Bowfinger next time you are in Paris and learn the error of your ways.

Then I punched 'Bowfinger Paris' into Google to see if I could figure out where it is etc., and the first hit is for some anonymous internet pundit rating it the worst restaurant in Paris.

So I retracted that idea in the face of anonymous internet punditry making me look a right jackanape.

The best French Onion Soup is the French Onion Soup I make.

Comment

You'd get better results with "Bofinger Paris", dogbeak, typo.

Comment

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6419

Comment

Firefox in the 3.0 series already auto-saves text entered into a box if the browser crashes or you accidentally close the tab (and you then re-open the tab from the menu bar), no?

(I just tested it with 3.0.6 -- typed the stuff above, closed the tab, right-clicked the tab bar, selected 'Undo Close Tab' and the text entry box was open with all the text that I'd typed still there).

Comment

Working...
                    X