Fave podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fave podcasts

I am furiously downloading podcasts in advance of my hospitalisation. Anyone got any particular favourtites to recommend (and can you do it, say, in the next couple of hours)?

I have just been through the NPR site and it apears that "This American Life" is not available which is hideously disappointing.

Fave podcasts

There's a university in California somewhere that has their entire curriculum of lectures available as free podcasts. I was halfway through a semester of microeconomics before I got hopelessly out of my intellectual depth. Sorry I haven't a link.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Thanks for the reminder. It's Berkeley, I recall. Also MIT.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Here's the the link to the ones from Cal Berkeley.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Mark Kermode's film reviews.
          Russell Brand
          The Bike show on resonance fm

Unmissable

Comment

Fave podcasts

And this looks like a link for This American Life

Comment

Fave podcasts

Stephen Fry's podcasts got off to a bit of a shaky start, but I really enjoyed the current one about America, aestheticism and Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Fave podcasts

ad hoc wrote:
                I have just been through the NPR site and it apears that "This American Life" is not available which is hideously disappointing.
                Ursus provides the link, but you can't get TAL from NPR because it isn't a NPR program--it's distributed by Public Radio International. When Ira Glass developed TAL, he pitched it to NPR, and they passed.

From NPR, I'd recommend Fresh Air, Terry Gross' interview show.

Comment

Fave podcasts

The Naked Scientists is good lightweight factual stuff. Perhaps just what the doctor would author. A very sexy lady marine biologist on there too.

If you like sci-fi and quirky geordie accents Starship Sofa is fun. Especially from about episodes 10 to 60, from when they hit their stride to when they started to run out of interesting writers to discuss.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Oh yes, and as above. I'm absolutely loving Stephen Fry's effort. Intimate, personal and effortlessly erudite.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Dr Karl (popular science) who does podcasts both on FiveLive (BBC) and Triple J (Australia).

The Word magazine podcast is good, with Mark Ellen and David Hepworth.

Comment

Fave podcasts

My favourites are:

Mark Kermode's Film Review, Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time, The BBC4 Documentaries and From Our Own Correspondent from the BBC.

The Guardian football podcast and Johnny Giles on Newstalk 106 are my football fixes.

Comment

Fave podcasts

AdHoc, hope your hospitalisation will be successful, nothing too serious hopefully?

The Dreyfus Heidegger lectures at Berkeley have become quite famous.
                          http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...823,full.story

I think I've taken about a half dozen of the classes linked on the website, I still have the occasional nightmare about bombing on the finals of some of these.

Properties of Materials was a great class, it's a bit technical (still accessible though) but really gives you a solid practical understanding of the physical world around us.

Intro to Archeology was very interesting as well, the Berkeley angle is particularly compelling given the not so distant legacy of Kroeber and the presence of Ishi on campus less than a century ago. After the Civil War, the legislature of California payed off veterans to hunt and kill off the native population in the resource-rich Sierra Nevada mountains. They did such an efficient job of this that they wiped off nearly all remnants of the local Indian culure, before their culture could even be documented. (It is really appalling that this facet of recent American history is not properly taught.)

Ishi survived by hiding most of his adult life after his tribe was exterminated, escaping that massacre as a child. There are a lot of artifacts on campus at the Kroeber Museum related to Ishi and to the tribes that populated the State before the advent of European colonisation.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishi

PS Ursus: referring to the University of California flagship as "Cal Berkeley" is a bit of a slight ("Frisco"-style, something I would have expected from Inca maybe...) "Cal", "Berkeley", U. of California would be the main acceptable designations. Get with the program! ; )

Comment

Fave podcasts

linus, you sound too much like ms. ursus (eight years, two degrees and additional graduate courses at the greatest public university in the US). I was trying to cover both the original "some university in California" and subsequent "Berkeley" posts.

But point taken, of course.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Hey--I just call it "Cal' or "Berkeley"

Comment

Fave podcasts

Any particular subjects? I can recommend lots, so long as they're related to science, video games, comics, news, journalism or comedy.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Friday Night Comedy on Radio 4. It's currently The Now Show. Occasionally it's The News Quiz.

Good luck in hospital, by the way, Andy.

Comment

Fave podcasts

Yes, hope it goes well.

Another vote for In Our Time. The archive is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_archive_home.shtml

I've got 30 or so from this and the last series. Let me know if anything catches your eye and I could do a yousendit.com.

Comment

Working...
                                    X