A poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...would be preferable to what's been going on with my eyes recently.

Last year I had (so the pharmacist said) conjunctivitis, ie really annoyingly feeling like you've got specks of dust in your eye. Fortunately it all went away after about ten days with the help of some drops.

About a month ago it came back with a vengeance, although this time fractionally less of the 'something in your eye' and a hell of a lot more 'my eyeballs are burning up'. Last year's drops didn't work, so I went to the doctor, who gave me stronger drops. These helped a little but not much. Indeed, I also developed a great throbbing (ooerr) behind and around my eyes, accompanied by pressure and itching. A further visit to the doctor on Wednesday resulted in him diagnosing an allergy (though not saying what), and prescribing me extra drops and anti-allergy tablets. In a week all's to be gone, he claimed. He also said I should cut down on computer use so as to not aggravate the symptoms ...

All very annoying. Has anyone been through similar symptoms? How did it pan out in the end? Are these symptoms characteristic of a particular allergy to something specific, or could it possibly be an allergy to just about anything? ...

I had (and indeed still have) something called a cyst on the eyeball (full story here: http://szekely.blogspot.com/2005/04/eye-opener.html ). It sounds like similar symptoms, but if your doc having seen says it's allergies, I guess that's probably more likely to be a better diagnosis than mine (since I've not seen it and have received no medical training whatsoever)

Anyway, I find that when it irritates me it's usually when my eyes are especially dry (ie in winter when the heating is on everywhere, when I'm flying a lot, or when I'm in a place with air conditioning). I just need to put in some of those fake tears you can buy over the counter at any chemist.

Comment

I used to get conjunctivitis about once every 6 months when I was a kid.
      It was horrible waking up in the morning and not being able to open my eyes.

Comment

I was stuck in A&E for three hours last night (minor car accident, nothing serious except a bit of whiplash) in a small room that had a massive wallchart detailing, with photos, every disease the eye could get.

Needless to say - do not want.

Comment

Ouch. I've no similar experiences, so no adive to offer, but... ouch. Sorry to hear, Lodz.

Comment

Cheers Toro.

No, I don't wear contacts - just glasses for short sight, and have done so for about 15 years. The only other issue I've had are quite a few of those squiggly swirly floaters in front of my eyes.

Actually, after a couple of days of treatment, things are feeling a bit better, so fingers crossed it'll all be cleared up by next weekend.

Comment

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
              those squiggly swirly floaters in front of my eyes
              Curiously enough, those are actually known as Floaters (myodesopsia).

Comment

i've had similar experiences with hay fever before, more just very itchy painful eyes than the pressure you talk about though, so i guess it could be an allergy but might be somethign else. this doesnt really help does it?

did it happen at the same time last year?

Comment

No, it helps a little mafu! Actually, I think there might be something in the hayfever/springy theory, as things seem to get a little worse when I go outside (though that may be due to the effects of bright sunlight being slightly annoying), and indeed it was springtime last year when I had my other episode...

Comment

My housemate is an optometrist. She's away for the weekend, but I'll point her in the direction of this thread when she gets back.

Comment

I've had a white-noise type noise in my right ear since last November. It's loud enough to keep me awake at night, my eustachian tube is blocked apparently. All manor of steaming and potions have failed to clear it so far, as have two courses of antibiotics. Now I have a cortico-steroid nose spray which should ease the problem by mid-March.

Not relevant to this thread, but I thought I'd share.

Speaking of irrelevancy, yesterday I took the kids for cricket training in Rotterdam. I set the bowling machine to 50 mph, and because Sean had not been getting on to his front foot enough, I set it to pitch well up, and told him to get his left foot to the pitch of the ball. Needless to say the ball fired, and zeroed in on his front foot, breaking his second toe. I'm such a bad dad.

Comment

Working...
                      X