Nestle: Nothing organic in our coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I listen to a talk radio station in the morning. Today a journalist working for the station related his attempts to get the Corporate Communications Officer of Nestlé in South Africa to be interviewed on air to respond to complaints from listeners that the taste and quality of Nescafé, Ricoffy (a coffee and chicory mix) and the chocolate drink Milo had deteriorated.

The PR goon refused, saying he had no complains on the toll-free consumer number. Then the journalist tried to help him out by offering a possible answer, referring to variations in the nature of the organic raw materials used in the coffees.

To which the Corporate Communications Officer – for Nestlé, remember – replied (and I paraphrase): "We don't use organic ingredients in our coffees." Huh? Coffee beans and chicory are...synthetic? Either the man is too honest or too stupid.

I presume that he draws a very healthy salary.

Well "organic" products tend not to use pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Thats probably what he meants.
    I could go into more detail, I did work at Whole Foods for a bit. They draw several distinctions but how it's regulated varies country to country.

Comment

I think I'm with G.man in this one. The concept of inorganic coffe baffles me.

Comment

So he is emphasising the pesticides in Nescafé? Not a great leap forward for the art of spin doctoring.

Comment

Radmonkey is correct

Nestle also do not do any fair trade produce (wankers).

http://www.babymilkaction.org/action/nestlefairtrade.html

Comment

Do they not have distinctions between organic and non-organic fruit and veg in South Africa?

Comment

Another reason to detest Nescafe is that they've got the EuroDisney contract all sewn up; so you walk round this park, in the middle of France, unable to get a decent cup of coffee anywhere.

What I wouldn't have given for a even a Starbucks.

Comment

"...so you walk round this park, in the middle of France, unable to get a decent cup of coffee anywhere..."

I've been tp Paris twice now and on neither occasion have I been able to get a decent cup of coffee. Italy seems to be the only place I've been to in Europe where they *get* coffee.

Comment

I've found that an easy way to make Nescafe slightly more palatable is to simply double the normal dose that you'd normally have. (i.e. in my case, 2 teaspoonfuls instead of one, in a cup.) It still tastes shitty, but at least it's then strong and shitty.

Comment

The fault is in the question. "Organic" doesn't just have the specific scientific meaning of the term, it also has, as radmonkey says, a specific legal meaning in the context of food and food products. Were the spokesman to claim it was "organic" when it (legally speaking) not, he would have false-advertising claims coming out the wazoo.

Comment

Yes, but meanings were not all made equal.

Comment

evilC wrote:
                        I've found that an easy way to make Nescafe slightly more palatable is to simply double the normal dose that you'd normally have. (i.e. in my case, 2 teaspoonfuls instead of one, in a cup.) It still tastes shitty, but at least it's then strong and shitty.
                        Yeah, I do that too. Why does that work? It seems totally paradoxical.

Comment

Doesn't seem paradoxical to me. I'm a pseudo-philistine when it comes to coffee, in that I prefer good coffee to shit like Nescafe, but at the end of the day I just like it strong and as long as it is I'm not too bothered. So my standard Nescafe dose is a heaped tablespoon.

Comment

Working...
                          X