Graph on subway ridership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Magazine (or, I suppose, GOOD) has a neat graphic comparing subway ridership in the 5 most used subway systems in the US with those globally.

http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/transparency/web/trans0209takingthetrain.html

It shows both the number of daily subway rides as well as the total number of miles of track. NYC's track length is mind-boggling, far surpassing the other 9 cities shown.

I was quite surprised by that Tokyo's got zillions of lines and it's a big, sprawling city. It's very tightly integrated with the overland rail system, though, so maybe some of the lines don't count.

Comment

It's the fairs that are mind boggling. Cash single fairs in London are £4-£7.

Comment

In NYC it's a great deal--$2 and unlimited transfers.

What are bus fares in London like? Do you have to pay for transfers?

Comment

Depends. If you pay cash, then yes. If you use an "Oyster" card then up to a point. Repeated single fares are capped at a daily rate.

Comment

It's a bit anomalous to include BART as San Francisco's representative. BART is really a commuter rail system, much closer to MetroNorth/LIRR in New York, the RER in Paris or the many lines in Tokyo or London than to an actual subway.

For one thing, BART only has five stops in the centre city (and almost as many in central Oakland). As a result, the population that it potentially serves is much larger than San Francisco's 745,000. The closest thing that SF has to a subway is the "MUNI Metro", which is a light rail/tram system that runs underground below Market Street, but aboveground in the rest of the city.

Comment

I had an extended tour of the Paris metro for EU 1.60 the other day. My planned journey was only a short hop from Bercy to Gare Nord, but it was snowing, there was a signal failure at Maladie Anglaise and someone on the line at Grenouilles-les-deux-Escargots. So I saw most of the inner circle.

Inca and Ursus- am I right in thinking Los Angeles's spread in the 20s and 30s (ie before everyone had cars) was due largely to ribbon development along radial routes served by trams and buses? This quoted in one of Bryson's books, as I recall.

Comment

Primarily streetcars/trams, particularly the late and lamented Red Cars.

Both BART and the newish LA metro can be seen as attempts to recreate streetcar-based systems that were destroyed in post-war period of infatuation with the automobile.

Comment

It's the fairs that are mind boggling.
                  It's all swings and roundabouts....

Comment

Fare comment, Houdi.

Comment

UA - I read that the motor companies had colluded in buying the city trolleybuses and tramways, and almost overnight took the decision to rip them up and replacement them with buses; in the short term, they did well as the buses were bought from them, but longer term, by denuding the city of a rapid transit system, made the car the only practical option.

Comment

That's the Roger Rabbit thesis, and it's mostly incorrect. For once, GM and auto companies aren't to blame. I'll post more later when I have time.

Comment

I grew up believing that as well, and have to admit that I was rather disappointed when it turned out not to be true.

Some debunking pages here and here, though interested readers who follow the "Edwin Black" comments and links from the first site will see that there are still true believers out there.

The fundamental "problem" is that lots and lots of Americans (especially Californians) really like cars.

Comment

Fucking hell--just spent about 30 minutes writing a post, and lost it.

Basically, read this:
                            http://la.metblogs.com/2007/03/09/top-la-legends-1-the-auto-industry-killed-los-angeles-streetcars/

Comment

Working...
                            X