Interesting Day Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Day Out

I went to Hack Green Nuclear Bunker near Nantwich today. I can honestly say that this was one on the most unsettling places I've ever been too.

First of all it was bloody cold. Then there's the bunker's raison d'etre; we went in a room that simulated a missile explosion. It was claustrophic and I nearly shat when the flash happened. Then we got to see The War Game.

The most disturbing thing was the clinical nature of it all; estimates of the rations needed for pricisely 3 months underground, maps of estimated casualties, the calm clipped tones of the official announcements; "We have 3 Minutes to Detonation".

It reminded me that some people, the exulted bunker dwellers, had the idea that if there was nuclear war somehow everything would be ok after a bit. It took me back to "When the Wind Blows".

I'd recommend going.

Interesting Day Out

Fuck that. I had nightmares for weeks after "When The Wind Blows", you can imagine what that would do to me.

Comment

Interesting Day Out

I love the 'I recommend going' bit.

The fire of apocalyptic war will scour the earth and all who live upon the face of it. Radiation will seep into the ground and the vestiges of humanity's existence will be washed away in a merciless bloom of excoriating fire that spares none and will leave the glow of death across the land and continents for ages to come. Refreshments available. Bring the kids!

Comment

Interesting Day Out

"And don't forget to visit our giftshop where we're having our Nuclear Winter Sale! We've annihilated our prices!"

Comment

Interesting Day Out

When I worked at the Ministry Of Agriculture, I had to shred loads of documentation relating to the Hack Green bunker.

The only post-apocalyptic rations for the survivors were thousands of tins of baked-beans buried in the field outside the bunker.

But no bread for toast; It's like rain on your wedding day.

Comment

Interesting Day Out

(Cover your eyes and ears, Toby!)

This has reminded me of something and I suppose here is as good a place to ask for initial directions as any. It's hypothetical anyway, really.

Where does one go/look to find military bases/land that is being decommissioned and sold off?

Unless I win the lottery I'm never going to be in the position too buy any form of dwelling of my own ever, but...

Comment

Interesting Day Out

How ironic is that? Surviving the nuclear holocaust and then dying from breathing your own and fellow survivors methane gas produced as a result of over-consumption of beans.

Comment

Interesting Day Out

Almost answering my question, but not quite, I'm looking for the British equivalent of this site or something similar.

Comment

Interesting Day Out

Mitch wrote:
                  The only post-apocalyptic rations for the survivors were thousands of tins of baked-beans buried in the field outside the bunker.
                  "...outside the bunker"???

Surely, there's a huge flaw in their survivalist logic, here?

Comment

Interesting Day Out

The beans were for the future clive; the brave new world where the Town Mayor, his wife & their selected friends from the golf club were going to repopulate Cheshire.

Comment

Interesting Day Out

Mitch wrote:
                      The beans were for the future clive; the brave new world where the Town Mayor, his wife & their selected friends from the golf club were going to repopulate Cheshire.
                      Assuming it hadn't already been populated by the angry mutant killer beans that had been irradiated a few months previously.

-

Comment

Interesting Day Out

I-word. Harrumph.

Comment

Working...
                        X