Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They think it's all over the Internet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is now.

Two Contrasting stories

Lee Hurst trying to prevent his material being uploaded. Meanwhile, on another part of the Internet, The Pirate Bay is being sued by a consortium including Warner Bros, MGM, Colombia Pictures Industries, 20th Century Fox, Sony BMG, Universal and EMI.

So what's the post copyright world going to look like, OTFers? Are you sick or having your material stolen or are you with the downloaders?

A skint one, probably.

It's classic hypocrisy on the part of the big corporations though - they tend to be notorious rights-grabbers when it comes to dealing with individual contributors, then bleat about it and set the terms of the debate when other people do it to them. The result being that those "creators" who do need the value of their work protecting - and who indeed rely on it to put food on their table - end up getting overlooked and, or, shafted.

The old order is clearly over though, for good and ill, but a basic principle still holds: if someone somewhere is making money out of someone's work, the person who created it should too.

Comment

The 46-year-old told the court he was furious because footage of his gigs end up on websites such as YouTube. He accused other writers of recording his material to copy his jokes and sell them to television shows on channels including the BBC and ITV
      If this is a serious problem as he claims, shouldn't he be happy that somebody is recording the show so he can establish copyright?

Comment

What concerns me here is that the comedy of Lee Hurst may be being distributed to anyone other than people stupid enough to go to see Lee Hurst shows and, worse, that some of the jokes may end up on TV.

I agree with him - this must be stopped.

Comment

He's better as a live stand-up than on the telly to be fair.

He's being daft here - because in this area, publicity via youtube and the like has a chance of increasing your paid-for custom, in the same way writing good sharp stuff on blogs for nothing can occasionally land you paid work.

Comment

He accused other writers of recording his material to copy his jokes and sell them to television shows on channels including the BBC and ITV
            Just how deluded is this man?

Comment

Hurst's club in Bethnal Green is quite good. He himself though was unimpressive. When a gag went wrong, someone shouted out "Move on!", a mild enough heckle (not to mention exactly what the rest of us were thinking), but he didn't like that at all.

Comment

Are you sick or having your material stolen or are you with the downloaders?

The first.

Comment

I was surprised by Hurst's actions, partly because it seems a mite pathetic on his part, but mainly because I'd wondered what happened to the bloke after They Think It's All Over. He dropped off the radar big-time after that.

Comment

Stand up comedy might be the area I'm least concerned about when it comes to unscrupulous rip-offs. The culture already mings, as far as I can tell: you can actually make a good living (in London, at least) from peddling total crap to drunk people, and I think those tossers have come to think that's the way it should be. It's like indie in 1991 or something: your Neds, Kingmakers, Mega City Fours of comedy are getting paid major label wages despite being absolutely useless.

One of the few comedy nights I've been to was at Hurst's Bethnal Green club, and it was a shockingly bad, physically uncomfortable, dispiriting experience. The rest have been even more insulting. He already has too much of my money, wheras Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer have too little.

Comment

I was surprised by Hurst's actions, partly because it seems a mite pathetic on his part, but mainly because I'd wondered what happened to the bloke after They Think It's All Over. He dropped off the radar big-time after that.
                      The ironically-titled They Think It's All Over was something of a route to the dumper, wasn't it. Nick Hancock gave it up to become an Estate Agent.

Comment

Really? If so, it's hard to feel the appropriate schadenfreude when you realise he must have have gained enough capital to open up the world of property in the first place. I mean, it's the profession he was born to do, but still.

Comment

At some point he (Hancock, not Hurst) was involved with the former Rotherham United sponsors, Earth Mortgages. Whether he actually ever had a proper job with them rather than just being "the face", I don't know.

Comment

Lee Hurst is currently writing on someone's blog at the moment.

Comment

I agree with Lucia L about modern stand-up in general. I'm rarely impressed when I go to comedy clubs - which is normally only for someone's birthday or something - and it seems like, as LL says, we're in the age of 'landfill indie' comedy. It's achingly conservative too, for the most part, touching on the same predictable subjects with no great wit - not sharp, not original, not innovative, not cutting edge in any way.

Comment

The thing is that stand-up can be be a piece of piss if all you want to do is make people laugh. People who go to stand up clubs want to laugh. It is actually easier to make them laugh than your mates down the pub who are going to be more critical.

If you want to make a career out of it and/or be original, that is a different matter altogether

Comment

Nick Hancock gave it up to become an Estate Agent.

Out of the frying pan and into the incinerator.

The last stand-up gig I can remember going to was back in 2000 or 2001, the Cuban Brothers at the Laughter Lounge on Eden Quay. As far as I can recall, most of the routine was soundtracked by 'All Night Long' by Lionel Richie.

I am in the fortunate position that most of my friends make me laugh fairly frequently, so it's been a long time since I needed to go to a comedy gig.

Comment

Bored of All the Beasts wrote:
                                    The thing is that stand-up can be be a piece of piss if all you want to do is make people laugh. People who go to stand up clubs want to laugh. It is actually easier to make them laugh than your mates down the pub who are going to be more critical.
                                    I'm not sure that my flabber has ever been quite so ghasted as it was reading that, especially the opening statement (why else would you want to do stand up?).

I book for several comedy gigs and if you want to prove your theory then send me a private message and I can get it arranged, I look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                      Stand up comedy might be the area I'm least concerned about when it comes to unscrupulous rip-offs. The culture already mings, as far as I can tell: you can actually make a good living (in London, at least) from peddling total crap to drunk people...

One of the few comedy nights I've been to was at Hurst's Bethnal Green club.
                                      Sorry to pick you up on this but how can you make an assumption about something that you admit you know precious little about?

Would you go to see "We Will Rock You" and a couple of Am-dram productions then pronounce that all theatre is rubbish?

It's fucking hard to make a living (good or otherwise) performing comedy, even in London.

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                                        because I'd wondered what happened to the bloke after They Think It's All Over. He dropped off the radar big-time after that.
                                        He opened up a comedy club in Bethnal Green and made a fortune.

Comment

Speaking of comedy.....

The Invisible Dot Club

(No, I'm not on commission. It just looks like a quality lineup for those who like live stand-up)

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                                            The ironically-titled They Think It's All Over was something of a route to the dumper, wasn't it. Nick Hancock gave it up to become an Estate Agent.
                                            Until recently, Nick Hancock was the anchor of the ITV midland midweek sports shows.

And there's a PM for tratorello (not one volunteering to do a turn, I may add).

Comment

because I'd wondered what happened to the bloke after They Think It's All Over. He dropped off the radar big-time after that.

He opened up a comedy club in Bethnal Green and made a fortune.

He'll lose it all by fucking about in impromptu fashion with the telecommunications industry.

Until recently, Nick Hancock was the anchor of the ITV midland midweek sports shows.

Nearly right.

Comment

Working...
                                              X