Wii Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wii Fit

Anyone getting this? Looks kind of interesting. Will it be the death knell of the lethargic gym goer?

Given they are likely to sell out and be sold out for a while I've pre-ordered with the idea of applying a bit of arbitrage.

Wii Fit

Why don't you just run up and down your stairs forty times a night, and save yourself £50?

Comment

Wii Fit

Funny you should say that Rogin -- I read an article recently questioning the link between losing weight and exercise.

The example quoted was that a 17st stone man expends only three calories climbing a flight of stairs and climbing forty flights of stairs consumes the energy contained in two slices of bread. So just don't eat the bread.

Comment

Wii Fit

Someone like Miyamoto or Reggie Fils-Aime admitted recently that Wii Fit is not a good way to get fit. Which seems to be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Comment

Wii Fit

I think there's a big difference between being fit and being overweight, anyway. I feel terribly unfit at the moment, inasmuch as I'm not using muscles I should be using more regularly, so I get cramps and pains when I have to do things like moving heavy boxes around in the garage (my back's out today, after I did exactly this to myself last night moving some boxes of books around). More regular exercise would undoubtedly help me here.

My weight, however, is spot on (after I felt like a real fatty about twelve months ago). I lost over two stone in the space of about eight weeks not through exercise - quite the opposite - I basically just curled up on the sofa and ate nothing but cereal, apples and the occasional pasta dish for a few weeks after me and my ex split up, and when I eventually threw the duvet off I emerged slimmer than I'd been for a decade. I was amazed I hadn't grown wings, such was my transformation from caterpillar to butterfly.

At one point I'd dropped from 14 stone 5 to 12 stone 3, and if I'd carried on with my starvation diet I'd probably now look like that Mr Muscle bloke. But I got back into a more sensible dietary regime, just eating a lot less than I used to (it's amazing the difference it makes just putting two roast potatoes on your plate not four) and have balanced out at a sensible 12 stone 10 (I'm pretty much bang on 6 feet tall).

Comment

Wii Fit

The example quoted was that a 17st stone man expends only three calories climbing a flight of stairs and climbing forty flights of stairs consumes the energy contained in two slices of bread. So just don't eat the bread.
            That's why it's diet AND exercise, innit. Exercise is good because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. An hours workout 3 times a week will burn perhaps 75% of one days worth of calorie intake. However, that time is worth more than just the calories while you're there.
            Not to mention that improved cardio-vascular fitness makes the processing of food and waste around your body far more efficient increases hormone and serotonin levels, thus reducing your appetite and craving for comfort food.
            Now if only I could practice what I preached far more often.

Comment

Wii Fit

Hobbes--well, not exactly. The rub is that the increased exercise, for most people, increases the appetite and makes you eat more food than you otherwise would. It's a tricky balance.

Comment

Wii Fit

You're right to a certain extent.
                The food you tend to eat is better for you generally.
                I suffer from OSA and when I'm tired and my body isn't properly oxygenated I crave - seiously crave sugar. Becuase my body thinks it needs energy.
                When I'm fit and exercising regularly, I have no urge to eat sugar at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Your body sort of tells you what it needs.

Comment

Wii Fit

The Grauniad is not impressed with Wii Gym.

Spot on about the diet AND exercise point. If I exercise without altering my diet I put weight on - my appetite goes up and I store more energy.

But gym most days and reducing carbs seems to be doing the trick at the minute. 9lb off in 4 weeks so far.

Comment

Wii Fit

Does nobody just go out and play football any more?

(I'm 30 in a couple of months. Can you tell?)

Comment

Working...
                    X