• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peasant multiplication

You legend, thanks!

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Rogin: the blue and red numbers are the ones you're multiplying. Multiply the digits separately, then put them in the squares of the grid.
      So that IS just long multiplication laid out differently, I see. (Jon's "chunking" method for long division was precisely how I was taught it thirty years ago, so no change there).

You'd still need to "know" what 8x9 was to use that method efficiently, then (i.e. learn your times tables by rote). I'd assumed, looking at the unfamiliar layout, that this was some wonderful new system that meant no kids had to anymore, maybe a 21st century log table method. In fact, it's just turning long multiplication round by 45 degrees.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

"(Jon's "chunking" method for long division was precisely how I was taught it thirty years ago, so no change there)."

Really? I was taught long division approximately 30 years ago too and that wasn't the way I'd do it. The trouble with the chunking method for division is it involves a lot of subtraction, which many kids find tricky.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

For the record, it's "lattice multiplication" not "grid method."

It's clearly a lattice, not a fucking grid, because it has slanted lines. It also requires that your students know what a lattice is.

Comment

Working...
          X