Peasant multiplication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peasant multiplication

... and other things I was never taught that might have kept me interested in number theory at school.

God, my maths teachers were really just phoning it in.

I only just discovered this trick reading an Arthur C Clarke (RIP) novel this afternoon, where (as usual with Arthur C Clarke) the main plot of the book is all about some malevolent race of space aliens coming to kill us all, while another more benevolent one comes in and saves us - he was a bit of an obsessive, Arthur C, I fancy, in that respect.

But the peasant multiplication thing, it's great. I'm going to show it to my girls tomorrow - they'll be fascinated, having just (at 6 and 7) have had to go through the torturous process we all remember, of learning, by rote, all the "times tables" up to 12 to be able to "do" multiplication. Of course, learning by rote is an ultimately quicker method, but I don't think it teaches them the nature of numbers, or of maths. I know I was turned off maths for similar reasons - no-one in the English education system I grew up in (and I ended up with an "A" Level in Maths) ever showed me this, though, and it's the kind of thing that would have made me far more interested in numbers, and how they work.

I expect you know what I'm on about by "peasant multiplication", but I'll quickly reiterate anyway - the thing where you just double and halve (chucking the odd half away each time) the numbers on each side, then add up only the ones that still have an odd counterpart, so for example

13 x 27

becomes

13 x 27
    26 x 13
    52 x 6
    104 x 3
    208 x 1

and then add 13 + 26 + 104 + 208 = 351.

351 = 13 x 27.

This should be on the maths syllabus at 8-year-old level, if it's not. Yes, I know, you get to a stage where you insticntively look at a multiplication like that and know it's 100ab+10(bc)+10(ad)+cd, or whatever, but tricks like this are fun, to learn, along the way.

Peasant multiplication

Hmm, I dunno. Are you sure that if it had been taught as part of the same old routine, with an exam at the end, you'd have thought "Wow, that's so cool!" I mean, it is really cool, but so, potentially, are a fair few things that do get taught, and the system seems to drain the cool out of them for most pupils.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

That seems a lot more complicated to me than just doing the multiplication the conventional way, but I can see how it might not be for a child who hasn't learned the conventional way yet.

Incidentally, now that we're all decimal, how come the times tables still go up to 12?

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Where I live the kids are getting taught this way

Comment

Peasant multiplication

That's the same algorithm as ordinary long multiplication, though, surely; just a different notation.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

That all looks fucking hard.
            Thank the lord for the calculator.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

It doesn't need a calculator, TG. Just discipline.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

I agree with GY. long multiplication still seems by far the easiest way of doing it.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

It doesn't need a calculator, TG. Just discipline.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Don't applaud him Hobbes, he is being a tit.
                    Dglh and his mickey mouse qualifications.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Look at you...putting capitals where they oughtn't be and removing them where they ought.

Discipline...discipline was the thing...

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Ha, say what you like WOM,

I look at my paragraphs and i look at yours and mine are in much better shape.

So there.
                        Plus I have a gold star from my spelling test in 1982, what are yours, list them?

Comment

Peasant multiplication

No answer huh, didn't think you had any.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Sir, your spelling, sentence structure, punctuation and capitalization should be taken out at dawn and shot. It shouldn't even be offered a last cigarette.

But I do defer to, and defend your right to comment on, all things physical fitness and pulling-related.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Tactical Genius wrote:
                              Don't applaud him Hobbes, he is being a tit.
                              Dglh and his mickey mouse qualifications.
                              I wasn't surprised you mentioned using a calculator rather than Microsoft Excel, TG.

If you can try and get it by its correct name I would appreciate it - "very expensive Mickey Mouse qualification". Thanks!

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Where I live the kids are getting taught this way
                                I can make absolutely no sense out of that whatsoever. At all.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

I don't think that is something that really should be in Mathematics class personally. Given the structure and the process, it is a fascinating yet quite weird system (which completely conflicts with decimals or fractions). It is a fun random thing to learn, but whether it may sidetrack children from a standard approach could be of concern.

That said, I really enjoyed maths - I didn't particularly like trig but liked the inverse sin graphs, but really enjoyed calculus. So maybe my position on this isn't really the one that you are seeking to address with these methods.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

It doesn't "completely conflict" with decimals or fractions at all, it comes back to (if you follow number theory) the binary maths system. There are simple proofs for why it "works". And that could excite some kids, I think, who are put off "maths", when the next century of our mathemeticians have to think in binary ...

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Ah yes, the grid method as us primary school teachers like to call it. Your girls will be coming across this in a year or two, Rogin, so better start swotting up now.

Long division has a similarly updated version called the chunking method:

By the way, unless I've misread Rogin's first post, his children know all their times tables up to 12x by heart. Wow - a thunderous round round of applause for both of them. I teach 6 and 7 year olds and none of mine can do that.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Jon, yes they do, but it's taken several applications of the long stick to make sure they've got it. (Eight times nine is - is?- whack!) We understand learning by rote, here in England, you know.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Well done you too. This country needs more parents like you.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Rogin: the blue and red numbers are the ones you're multiplying. Multiply the digits separately, then put them in the squares of the grid. Then draw diagonal dividers as as shown. Finally, add along the diagonals.

I'd never seen it before, but it's just a different way of laying out long multiplication.

Curiously, no-one's mentioned the fact that both ordinary long multi and this grid version depend on the Hindu place value notation we use for numbers, whereas Rogin's peasant method doesn't (though the halvings and doublings, and the additions at the end, are made easier by place value). There's also a link between Rogin's method and binary, which is pretty cool.

I wouldn't put it forward as a slicker algorithm or anything, because it isn't, but it's cool because of the above, and because it teaches you there's nothing God-given about the way we happen to do things. I don't think it will confuse any child who already knows how to multiply the normal way.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Wyatt - can you at some point repost the unutterably cool thing where you subtract each term of the fibonacci sequence from each term of a related sequence to get all the prime numbers for two thousand goes, or something, until it goes awry?

Comment

Peasant multiplication

i thought this thread was going to be about the story on the front page of today's sun.

Comment

Peasant multiplication

Here you go, Toro.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X