Entonces, Salamanca...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entonces, Salamanca...

Just been invited to a meeting in Salamanca in July, which is not only justifiable in work terms but is also in Salamanca. Any tips while I'm there?

Entonces, Salamanca...

Don't say "Real Valladolid are my Spanish team".

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

I think one normally doesn't tip in Spain, but it often depends on whom you ask, and may well vary by region.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Insert witty username wrote:
        Don't say "Real Valladolid are my Spanish team".
        Valencia are my Spanish team, will they be reasonably OK with that?

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Sultan of Bruno wrote:
          I think one normally doesn't tip in Spain, but it often depends on whom you ask, and may well vary by region.
          Heh. It's generally a "round up to the nearest round number of euros" job, I think, as in France.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Well, in restaurants you would be expected to tip, unless you're disatisfied with the service. The difference with other countries is that tipping is discretionary - there is no fixed percentage.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Salamanca is gorgeous, though July will be hot, and there will likely be a lot of "summer school abroad" types around.

Given that you've presumably been invited by locals, you are almost certain to have a great time.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Yup, like ursus says, the city is gorgeous. It's a bit like Oxford or Boston in that during school year it seems taken over by students.

Since you're going in the summer you may not have that problem but you'll have a worse one: tourists!!!! Those buggers are everywhere with their stupid cameras.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Possibly my favourite city in Spain. And up against some hefty competition.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Spot the frog's a good game to play in Salamanca. You stand outside a certain university building and squint for ever to try and find a frog that is supposedly on the the facade. I say supposedly because I've never seen it myself.

Can't rememeber much else about the city I'm afraid, apart from the fact that there's 'mucha juerga' as you'd expect from a university town. I think Michael Portillo's Dad was a professor at the university there before he came to Britain.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Wear black woollen gloves ... sure to break the ice.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

It's nice here. I've found the frog. And indeed the apostrophe.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Insert witty username wrote:
                          Well, in restaurants you would be expected to tip, unless you're disatisfied with the service.
                          So given that we're talking about Spain here, that's the same as saying 'there's no need to tip in restaurants.'

I've seen the frog, and if you'd like to, Jon, there's a photo of it on my Flickr page - I'll let you find it yourself.

I liked Salamanca a lot, good nightlife, decent food and it's very very cheap. The twin cathedrals are something else.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Thanks Sam - although I've studied the close-up photo that was on your flickr page and I still can't bastard see it.

Looking at your other photos of Salamanca, I'd forgotten how beautiful the Plaza Mayor was.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

It is stunning isn't it Jon. Far nicer than the one in Madrid.

The frog is on top of the skull - in that photo, if you draw an imaginary cross from the corners of the picture, the point where the two 'lines' meet is where it is. It's now very, very weatherworn though - you're looking for something that might have looked like a frog when it was originally carved into the sandstone 400-odd years ago, rather than something that looks like a frog now.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Salamanca is the only place that I've ever seen a stork's nest in real life. I thought that it was really exciting, as they're such an evocative and iconic symbol of middle Europe, and I'd always wanted to see one. Funny that Salamanca isn't actually in the middle of Europe...

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Wingco's daughter, playing with his mobile phone, rang me while I was eating tapas off the Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid.

Flight back was delayed, forcing me to get a taxi from Victoria. The taxi driver was Muzzy Izzet's uncle.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Me gusta mucho. Never made Salamanca in trips to Spain, but it sounds good.

Any other cabbies related to footballers? I think Andy Reid's dad and brother in Dublin were mentioned?

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

When I say I was eating tapas off the Plaza Santa Ana, I mean I was just off the Plaza Santa Ana, eating tapas, not that I was in the Plaza Santa Ana, eating tapas off it.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Surely no-one here's that pedantic etc. etc.?

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

I was driven home by Julius Aghahowa's brother on Friday night.

Comment

Entonces, Salamanca...

Yes, there are lots of storks around Castilla. I think the ones from Poland migrate but, as far as I'm aware, the Spanish ones don't.

Edit - yes, I can finally see the frog! I can die a happy man now - thanks Sam.

Comment

Working...
                                            X