Help Ben Goldacre!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Ben Goldacre!

I've already circulated something about this on Facebook, but here's a link from the Bad Science website explaining in full. Essentially, Goldacre uploaded an excerpt of an astoundingly asinine broadcast by one Jeni Barnett explaining why, using her gut instincts as a mother, she was anti the MMR vaccine. Now, LBC, the station on which it was broadcast, are threatening legal action for copyright infringement.

http://www.badscience.net

Now, it can be safely said that all of my attempts to divine the world of science have been bad. But there is one simple stat alone that settles the matter of the MMR vaccine for me and it's represented in a graph on the link here. Anyway, it's suggested that people complain either to OFCOM or LBC themselves.

Help Ben Goldacre!

I've already written to Of-whateveritis, and like wingco would urge others to do the same.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I'll ask Mrs Horse but she's libel, not copyright. My instinct, though, is that nothing too bad can happen to him if he just posted it up and then took it straight down again when they asked him to desist.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I'd hope that was the case too, Horse.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Her response on her blog is hilarous.
          "All you nasty science types, bullying me with facts. How dare you."
          A cursory read of the first 20 or 30 of the responses from these nasty bullies are unfailingly polite and the rudest responses come from people slating (and I'm almost embarrassed to type this) "allopaths."
          "What's wrong with 3 separate injections?" says one.
          Apart from of course, it requiring 3 visits to the doctors, costs 3 times as much AND MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER.

Part of me would like to see LBC try it on. It'd put the subject of fraudulent broadcasting about medicine in the press and you've got to think that the Guardian's lawyers have a lot more practice at this kind of thing than LBC's.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Why would the Guardian be involved? he put this on his own website.

I've signed up - he's a hero as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Same here, especially when he skewers the spurious claims that the more wanky papers (eg, the Mail) are keen to promote.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I've now also written to LBC.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

As she apologized for referring to that poor nurse as 'vicious' yet?

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Goldacre support added.

Being wrong is one thing. Being aggressively and litigiously so is quite another.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I got a bit of a testy response from the chap at LBC to which I've replied, courteously. He seems to be taking it all very personally and feeling somewhat under siege.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Here's the MP3 of the original show.

http://thatsfuckingstupid.com/jeni-barnett-mmr-and-vaccination-slot-on-lbc.mp3

Does anyone know what a "logical child" is?

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I'm guessing 'logical child' is the new PC way of saying 'adopted' - as if there is something wrong with being adopted.

I listened to about seven minutes of that before I had to shut it off. She admits in the broadcast that she is not an expert, so why is it such a problem for her when someone else says it?

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

It's desperately hard to endure. Just a series of rambling, irrelevant, emotional non-sequiturs and massacring of straw targets. Awful.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Staggering. This woman is almost failing-the-Turing-test stupid.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Mind you, in the spirit of evenhandedness, Edward Jenner, discoverer/inventor of vaccination, was a true cunt's cunt.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I made a complaint to Ofcom a few days ago. Rarely do I get so cross. That stupid woman.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Relatedly; there are no swearwords adequate...

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Logical Child?

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Googling seems to throw up only (a) random pairings of "logical" with "child", and (b) the technical meaning from the theory of relational data structures. Someone may be having a laugh.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Ofcom complaint issued. Good luck to the brilliant Dr. Goldacre.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

i don't understand their case at all. surely uploading an excerpt from a broadcast is the same thing as quoting from a newspaper article.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

I'm adopted, and I'm in my early 30s, and as a (mild) knock-on effect I take a reasonable bit of interest in adoption-related developments in society at large -- and I've never encountered the phrase "logical child" once, either anecdotally or in the press.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

You realise we're all on the same side as David Aaronovitch here? Stopped clocks and that.

Comment

Help Ben Goldacre!

Jesus, I was about to post precisely that, right down to the stopped clocks analogy! Apart from all the science and maths stuff, My brain and Wyatt's are clearly exactly like.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X