Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What on Earth has happened to Horizon?

I'd have watched it if it was.

Last night's was apopalling. David Baddiel investigating education and the effect it had on children. Well, obviously was meant to be more than that but that's effectively what it was

"Someone famous investigating something he doesn't know much about but is vaguely interested in"

What has happened to people who know what they are talking about presenting documentaries so that we can learn something. If not, there must be at least someone famous who has done an education module for Sociology A-level that could scratch the surface a little bit more.

I don't know about you but I was amazed, nay, astonished to find out that intelligence isn't genetically hardwired into us and our circumstances and family conditions can have a great effect on it.

The most daming piece was where Baddiel visited a school in Washington where they encourage (mostly black) children in a school to acheive well, behave better, wear school uniforms and follow the rules by paying them. Baddiel thought that this was "touching". This school was running a Capital Gains scheme and was set up by a Harvard economist who thought that children being bullied by kids who wanted to copy their homework so that they earned money was good. The scheme isn't even two years old yet

I have no real axe to grind with Baddiel but he just didn't have a fucking clue what he was talking about above and beyond your general well-meaning middle class parent.

Next week, Jeremy Kyle investigates IVF

Comment

Working...
    X