What on Earth has happened to Horizon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That cannabis thing was the second good Horizon in recent memory, blotting an otherwise perfect record, over the last few years, of superficiality, crass sensationalism and pseudoscience. I've a good mind to write to the BBC.

The straight dope (see what I did there?) is that yes, THC seems to increase the risk of psychosis, but that this is only a really scary risk if you're under 15. CBD, the other active ingredient, may actually be antipsychotic. But some strains of skunk have no CBD at all.

Write to its venerable organ.

Comment

I believe "The Listener" is no longer available, lol, rofl, etc.

Comment

It's quite an odd experience watching an edition of the program in the full expectation of finding it annoying and trivial, only to have it revert to something like form.

From the relative paucity of flashy graphics and the (again relative) lack of mood music I suspect this must have been a low budget edition that somehow slipped under the radar of the usual editorial team.

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the TV forum?

Anyway, I hardly ever watch Horizon, and from what I've heard of recent form I strongly doubt they'll come close to something as good as their Fermat's Last Theorem program any time soon.

As science programming goes, David Attenborough's program on Darwin on Sunday night was brilliant, I thought.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
            Shouldn't this be in the TV forum?
            I was thinking of the main thread theme as being drugs and that, but that's not how it's shaping up, which is fine.

Comment

Horizon takes about half an hour to explain something that could be explained in about two sentences.

Comment

You'll have noticed that this good Horizon, like all other good ones in recent memory, was presented by a scientist. This is not a coincidence.

Comment

It's slightly surprising they haven't yet got Lauren Laverne to do it.

Comment

I won't stand for any slagging off of Lauren Laverne on OTF.

Comment

Were there no CGI dinosaurs on the cannabis programme, then? Good job I didn't tune in - my attention deficit disorder would have bee... Oh look - there's a puppy!

Comment

Bahiryan wrote:
                        I won't stand for any slagging off of Lauren Laverne on OTF.
                        Here, have a seat.

Comment

She could present a programme about intelligent design and I'd be sold.

Comment

Horizon has been dross for most of the 21st century. Bring back QED, say I.

Comment

Or bring back QI says ED.

Comment

Bring back Tomorrow's World.

Comment

Bahiryan wrote:
                                  Bring back Tomorrow's World.
                                  It must have these titles, though.

Comment

Someday someone is going to ask me to finally produce the TV science programming that should exist. The equivalent of Civilisation or World At War. Which just, in 20 or 30 programmes per broad subject - a Physics series, chemistry series, biostuff series, geoscience series, perhaps - tells the basics of scientific theory. I guess the Attenborough Life On Earth with it's little countdown of evolutionary time is the closest we've ever had. But nobody's ever tried with physics or chemistry ideas.

Instead it's all about "Dr Boffin from the Institute of Tin Pot ideas came up with a radical new theory that goes against convention!" [camera follows Dr Boffin driving a 4wd car across the Falklands landscape. Here, in the South Atlantic, he wanted to test to see whether the prevailing winds actually blew east to west, and everyone else has been hallucinating all these years and Magellan was lucky to get round the Southern Ocean at all.[camera returns to Dr Boffin in his lab] "This astonishing new thinking could change the way we look at the world and could result in the complete and utter destruction of London" [cgi shots of London crushed under a giant space-rhinoceros]...

etc.etc.

Comment

She could present a programme about intelligent design and I'd be sold.
                                      "So, some people think that God made us, some people think he didn't. Maybe we should make our own minds up!"

Comment

But nobody's ever tried with physics or chemistry ideas.
                                        Well, Earth Story and whatever that Iain Stewart series was called did it for geology. And Atom did it for particle physics, albeit with far fewer episodes.

Comment

Tonight's programme, entitled Why Do We Like Looking At People Getting Their Kit Off, is perhaps the worst science programme I've ever seen.

Comment

It's fantastic, in a horrifying, TV executives are evil, sense. Take two of the worst things on TV at the moment - Horizon and "documentaries" whose only raison d'etre is gratuitous nudity - and combine them! TV gold!

Comment

I saw the latter half of it and it was, not just literally, bollocks. There was a terrible misrepresentation of evolution as a goal-directed process, for one thing.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                                                Someday someone is going to ask me to finally produce the TV science programming that should exist. The equivalent of Civilisation or World At War. Which just, in 20 or 30 programmes per broad subject - a Physics series, chemistry series, biostuff series, geoscience series, perhaps - tells the basics of scientific theory. I guess the Attenborough Life On Earth with it's little countdown of evolutionary time is the closest we've ever had. But nobody's ever tried with physics or chemistry ideas.
                                                I know this is an old post, but... Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" wasn't far off this. And it was glorious.

Comment

Why Do We Like Looking At People Getting Their Kit Off
                                                  Is that really what it's called?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X