Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PM facility on this board

It's a bit unwieldy, isn't it?

No flashing envelope in the corner of the screen any more to tell you that you've got a message. No e-mail sent to your address to alert you either. Basically, if someone sends you a PM now, it will just sit there undetected and gathering dust until such time as you say to yourself, "Hey! Why don't I check my PMs, it's been a while." (Unless of course the sender goes to the trouble of starting a thread called "PM for Xxxxxxx".)

Also, the new layout of the inbox is a bit confusing -- I inadvertently deleted a message the other day in the process of trying to re-open it (though I'd already read the contents earlier so it was no big deal). And instead of the old "Read by recipient" line, you have to fiddle around by dragging your cursor over tiny little unlabelled icons to see if something's been read or if it's been sent properly or whatever.

Sorry to sound like a moaning Michael, but I've had occasion to send a few PMs in the last day or so and the new system takes a bit of getting used to.

I sent you one the other day as it goes, HB. It wasn't very important though.

Comment

Yeah, I replied. I take it you didn't receive that reply?

Comment

No - it's not in my inbox anyhow.

Comment

Also, for the tragically unpopular amongst us, there's the thing of, do you have a look every so often? Because if you don't, there's a faint, faint chance that you might miss something; but if you do look, you'll just be disappointed, and the possibility evaporates and you're left feeling even more of a loser.

Comment

Hieronymus Bosch wrote:
            It's a bit unwieldy, isn't it?

No flashing envelope in the corner of the screen any more to tell you that you've got a message. No e-mail sent to your address to alert you either. Basically, if someone sends you a PM now, it will just sit there undetected and gathering dust until such time as you say to yourself, "Hey! Why don't I check my PMs, it's been a while." (Unless of course the sender goes to the trouble of starting a thread called "PM for Xxxxxxx".)

Also, the new layout of the inbox is a bit confusing -- I inadvertently deleted a message the other day in the process of trying to re-open it (though I'd already read the contents earlier so it was no big deal). And instead of the old "Read by recipient" line, you have to fiddle around by dragging your cursor over tiny little unlabelled icons to see if something's been read or if it's been sent properly or whatever.
            Would agree with all of the above!

Comment

Odd complaint for a first-time poster to concur with, but what the hell.

Welcome Hamilton Bland.

Comment

Lyra wrote:
                Also, for the tragically unpopular amongst us, there's the thing of, do you have a look every so often? Because if you don't, there's a faint, faint chance that you might miss something; but if you do look, you'll just be disappointed, and the possibility evaporates and you're left feeling even more of a loser.
                Well said. I would rather go back to the days of not having a functional PM box than to face the reality that no one is going to send me a PM anyway.

Comment

Just discovered that GT3 sent me a PM last Monday. I never occured to me to look.

Sorry mate, reply sent.

Comment

I might as well take the opportunity to say I've sent Tubby a PM. Check your inbox, mate.

Comment

Thanks to this thread I've just discovered that I've got two PMs. Two! That's almost as many as I had in the entire history of the old board.* Yeah, this definitely needs sorting - we need a campaign, with banners saying stuff like "bring back the flashy envelope icon type thing" or something equally catchy.

*exaggeration for effect

Comment

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered that I have no PMs. None!

Comment

I have a couple, one about how many goals Kerry Dixon scored against Oxford. That's been replied to now, by the way.

Comment

What was the answer?

Comment

I'd like to register a vote against the flashing envelope. It used to really bug me - it was so unnecessarily distrating. I get an email saying I have a PM, so I don't need the flashing envelope too.

Perhaps a non-flashing envelope icon would be a compromise.

Comment

Got a shit-load of PMs did you? Lucky bastard. Me, I just got ones that said stuff like "As I mentioned to you on that thread, you're a cunt." and "Are you and Fatbastard the same person?"
                                Regardless, I want the flashing envelope back. And the email alert. And the old board with all the people that didn't migrate over. And the old lurkers whose name you'd see in the Recent Visitors area but who never posted, but they felt like old friends regardless. What was the point of this new board anyhow?

Comment

Nine, Boris.

Comment

Working...
                                  X