Frozen mixed pepper slices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got a bag in the freezer. What a pointless product that is. How much harder is it to buy a fresh pepper and chop it, than to get a bag out the freezer? And then there's the whole loss of flavour aspect too. I guess it makes sense if you only use one slice of pepper a week or something, but really.

And pancake batter mix. Just add an egg and water. Which is easier how than adding milk and an egg to flour? It's fucking insane. People will buy anything if they think it makes their life easier. Even if it doesn't.

Can I be the first to ask why you bought them then?

Comment

I didn't. The missus did. She was properly pepperly excited by them as well. Weirdo.

I did, however, just use some. For the sake of science, obviously.

Comment

Obviously. Omelette, was it?

Comment

Nah. I fried some up with left over roast chicken from yesterday, added loads of black pepper, and whacked it in a pitta bread.

Comment

Nice. I like your style.

I've been giving this some thought, and I can see an odd logic in it. I imagine it's more annoying to need pepper for a recipe and not have one, than it is odd to have some frozen on the off-chance.

This is woolly-headed thinking of the highest order. Clearly I've been living with a woman too long.

Comment

Nah, the thing is that those frozen bags have all three colours of pepper in them; otherwise you'd have to cut up three peppers, and then bin most of it.

And the big bags of frozen chopped onions are ace as well. Shopping at Iceland has been a recent revelation for me.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

Frozen peas: excellent

Frozen broccoli: acceptable (just)

Frozen onions: sweet jesus, the world's gone mad

I'm reminded of a friend of mine and his fledgling attempts at cookery for his then-new wife. He decided to make a cottage pie, which according to all reports was fantastic; although his decision to freeze 1/3 of a boiled potato which he didn't need to mash, was an odd one.

Comment

I just really, really hate chopping onions. Cooking shouldn't be comparable to being tear-gassed. I'd accept any substitute.

I used to just replace onions with leeks in every recipie instead, until the piss-taking got too much.

Comment

Swimming goggles.

Failing that, welder's mask.

Comment

Mitch wrote:
                      I just really, really hate chopping onions. Cooking shouldn't be comparable to being tear-gassed. I'd accept any substitute.
                      I think you've just got to accept that to live is to suffer. It's all very Zen.

Comment

I wore a pair of pinc-nez style suntanning goggles to chop onions once. Mrs WOM walked in on me. I'll let you play out the scenario in your own 'theatre of the mind'.

Comment

Some frozen vegetables are very useful--Toby pointed out my favorite, peas--but a lot are useless.

EIM, you sound like Mark Bittman from a few weeks back.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                            I wore a pair of pinc-nez style suntanning goggles to chop onions once. Mrs WOM walked in on me. I'll let you play out the scenario in your own 'theatre of the mind'.
                            How kinky you two are is your business.

Comment

Any pain suffered while chopping onions is more than made up for by the fabulous smell that follows when you start to fry them.

Comment

If I need to mince them I always do it in a food processor, which greatly reduces the exposure.

Comment

You bunch of wendies.

Comment

Onions are obviously much stronger and tear-inducing over 'ere in the colonies. We feed your UK-type to teething babies.

Comment

Nah, I've chopped Canuck onions. I'm rock, me.

Comment

Speaking of, I've just added your man Oliver's newest book to the kitchen library next to one by a certain ex-pat Canuck.

Comment

Superb!

Comment

Working...
                                          X