Greene King and their shit pubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the Lewes Arms-inspired boycott of Greene King has been over for ages, but I think I'm going to carry on with mine, after the Fawlty-Towers-style treatment I got in the Eagle in Cambridge on Saturday. What I said to the barman was "Look, I can't find a free table, can you put my food order through anyway and I'll keep looking?" In reply, he poured away the pint he was pulling for me and told me he wasn't going to serve me. What the fuck? I hadn't even sworn at the cunt. At that stage.

What is this Lewes Arms boycott of which you write?

Report of Eagle duly noted. Clearly, it has been "preying" on your mind. I seem to recall getting a less than overwhelming service level wlast time I was there on a trip back to the alma mater, probably 10-15 years ago, but I just attributed it to the overcrowded-touristy-pub-milking-its-venue-appeal syndrome.

I think it was Clive James, in the Cambridge bit of his memoirs, who expressed outrage at the owners of the Eagle painting over the poignant graffiti which WW2 pilots had left on the walls/ceilings there before setting off on missions to Germany from which many never returned.

Comment

Hahahaha. That's some magnificently misanthropic bartending there. Obviously what you said somehow got distorted through the throngs of people and came out as: "I'm asking you to do something which may cause you some difficulties later on in your shift. Two scampi in a basket, you cunt. Go fuck yourself."

He's a twat for pouring the drink away. The correct procedure is to pretend to pour it away, take it to the glasswash, and neck it. For bonus points, do it in full view of the patron you've just refused to serve.

Comment

I think it was Clive James, in the Cambridge bit of his memoirs, who expressed outrage at the owners of the Eagle painting over the poignant graffiti which WW2 pilots had left on the walls/ceilings there before setting off on missions to Germany from which many never returned.
        There was still graffiti on the roof of the back room the last time I was there (last year).

Comment

Spookily enough, the Eagle is the only pub I've ever been barred from. I was barred in 1983, for refusing to serve its then landlord after hours in my own bar. But he'd forgotten about it the next day.

Comment

Well then. Looks like he's got a better memory than you thought.

Comment

Working...
            X