I WANT A BACON SANDWICH NOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're trotters, right? Trotters are really nice, though very picky to eat. Not at all, how can I put this, odoriferous like andouillettes; they just smell porky. I had a warm salad with trotters and grain mustard in Brussels over the summer, as a starter, it was great.

Comment

Yeah, trotters. I must get some some time.

Comment

I can't see this thread tempting Spearmint Rhino back into the fold.

Comment

True, although at the moment these unglamorous cuts get thrown away in huge quantities, meaning that the more one switches to them from the posh cuts, the fewer animals die. But that kind of argument never cut any ice with SR...

Still, much as I miss him, I don't think we can have OTF as a zone in which meat-eating is a kind of dirty secret, never discussed.

Comment

I agree. That should be reserved for androphagy.

Comment

Funnily enough, not being Swiss, I haven't a fucking clue what desicated dog turd tastes like...
              They probably taste like a breakfast sausage I would guess, with added grease...

Comment

Bruno, are we to take it that you're OK with gynophagy?

(TG to thread.)

Comment

Is that where I get to be the Big Bad Wolf?

Comment

Anthropophagy, boy. Write it out a hundred times.

Comment

Ah, that's probably the word I wanted. Pretty sure androphagy's a word, too, also meaning cannibalism. (goes to google)

Here we go:

http://neonostalgia.com/weblog/?m=200809

I've probably been influenced by recent reading material here.

Comment

Corned beef brisket can still be cheap - but only in the industrial-farmed mass produced meat versions.

For the nicer, better sourced meat, it probably won't be cheap, but proportionally, it'll still be one of the cheaper cuts, if that makes any sense.

At least, that's what I've found in my efforts to make my own corned beef pastrami.

Comment

We've discussed this before but, what's the difference between corned beef and pastrami? I know they taste different but I don't know why.

Comment

Corned beef is salt cured brisket. Pastrami is slightly differently spiced in the salt cure, and then smoked with the pastrami spices on the outside. There's some disagreement about whether or not you need to add nitrates (in the form of saltpeter or something else) to get the pink color that makes it true pastrami.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

You can't buy saltpetre very easily here now, because it's an ingredient of several explosives.

Comment

Used to be on the menu regularly down our way. Arf.

I've just enjoyed an excellent breakfast, centrepiece quorn sausage. Sorry, Wa'ayat, but I think I may be lost to the darkside forever. (Burps).

Comment

I have just this minute decided that, on my way to the camera shop on St James Street to drop off a Holga film for developing, I am going to get a bacon sandwich. Then, this afternoon, Dotmund and I are going to Lewes vs Mansfield Town. Today feels like a proper Saturday.

Comment

And I am the Life wrote:
                                      Well liq if you're looking to recreate the british bacon experience, go out and find yourself an intensively reareed pig, preferably one that has never seen the light. slaughter it, hack off the belly or side. Now take the meat and inject it with up to 33% of its volume with a mixture of water, salt and nitrites. Now the thing you'll have in front of you will now be a huge gloopy amorphous blob, which you can't really cut. So the trick is you blast freeze it and then cut it into rashers. which you then thaw out, and pop into your pan, and you will then have the incredible shrinking breakfast rasher complete with pan filled with white scour.

This process was brought to you by the good people of Galtee meats, in Mitchelstown, co. Cork. (The next town southwest of Cahir on the Dublin-Cork road) Galtee are almost single-handedly responsible for turning one of the great cultural and culinary achievements of these Islands, the rasher, into the shrivelled weird tasting, glorious confection of salt and fat that we all know and love.
                                      This is why I get my rashers at d'market when I'm in Cork.

(And that's the first time I've ever heard of Mitchelstown described as "the next town southwest of Cahir.")

Comment

Working...
                                      X