Video conversion query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video conversion query

How do I convert a VOB file from a DVD into a .wmv file or similar so I can back it up onto my hard disk?

Video conversion query

You can back up a DVD straight onto your hard drive anyway. Just copy the VIDEO_TS (and if you have it) AUDIO_TS folders onto your hard drive.
    Otherwise there's bound to be some free software that will rip a DVD to AVI or some such. Or indeed any software that creates an ISO would be fine. Is this just for backups, because you want to copy the DVD to another DVD or because you want to watch them/send them as files?

Comment

Video conversion query

Assuming you're using Windows here... DVD Decrypter is a good one, I seem to remember - if that's still around, you can make a DVD into an .iso file with one click. If you want to save it as something you can just watch on your computer (i.e. nothing so innocent as "backup", heh heh heh) then there are millions of free ripping programs. Googling "DVD rip free software" or something should get you there (I don't know the names of the Windows ones because it's been years since I needed them). They'll all save it as an .avi file, rather than a .wmv - wmv is a stupid proprietary Microsoft format which isn't well-suited to encoding etc. But it's a very easy process, really. You might need a program called DVD Shrink, though, to compress the resulting file down to a handy size.

If you're on a Mac, the wittily-named Mac The Ripper will do it. I won't even bother to mention how easy it is to do this in Linux......

Comment

Video conversion query

Cheers.

It is actually an old music promo of mine and my wedding video so no copyright issues

Comment

Video conversion query

OK, I've ripped it off the DVD but it has saved it as a VOB file and I have no idea how to rename it as a .avi file. I have forgotten how to do it. I thought it was just a case of typing .avi after it but no.

I can't believe this. I used to work at "The Cutting Edge Of Digital Multi-Media"

Comment

Video conversion query

VOB files are mpeg rather than avi files. You can just rename them .mpg - it's not the best way, but it should work if you just want to watch them in a media player. A better long-term solution might be to find a VOB to mpg converter.

Alternatively, there should be an option on the ripping program to save it as an .avi rather than VOB files. If there isn't, it might be easier to download a different one and do it again?

Comment

Working...
            X