the PC Brigade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the PC Brigade

I learned that rex is king and regina is queen. I assume the 'regem' in Adeste fideles is a form of rex?

Comment

the PC Brigade

I learned that rex is king and regina is queen.
      Sure, but in Romance languages the masculine form is often also used as a generic, right? I mean, some of mes cousins can be cousines.

I think the cognates of "monarch" are only really used in Romance languages when the form of government's being stressed: the straight translation of "kings and queens" is just rois/reyes etc.

But you know, I'm basically on your side on this.

Comment

the PC Brigade

You only use the masculine form (I thought) as a generic when you know there's a masculine component. If it were two sister queens of Aragon, it would be the plural of regina.

But anyway, as you say rex/regem could just as well be translated monarch, creating a rhythmic problem to overcome.

Come see the one who's
        Born to rule the angels
        O come let us ado-ore
        O come let us ado-ore
        O come let us ado-ore yon
        De-ee-ity!

There, perfect.

Comment

the PC Brigade

Dominum =/= Deity.

Come, see the newborn
          Ruler of the angels,
          Come ye and adore with us,
          Come ye and adore with us,
          Come ye and adore with us
          The all-powerful.

?

"Let us adore" is a better rendering of "adoremus", but it loses the contrast between the second- (venite) and third persons...

Comment

the PC Brigade

You mean first person plural there. It's a nice subjunctive that. I think abstract nouns get overused, so I'll go for "adore him".

Wyatt, I can't remember seeing "reges" used to mean "kings and queens" in Latin, whatever happens in later Romance languages. My dictionary (Chambers Murray) indeed gives "monarch" as a meaning, but I'm not convinced by it. I've seen no quote from an author where I wouldn't unhesitatingly translate "king".

Latin is a very concise language, but sometimes it likes using two words to give a good rhetorical sound. "reges et reginae" has a nice ring about it, so I can see why they wouldn't feel the need to use "reges" to mean kings and queens.

Comment

the PC Brigade

ooh, i've got a fantastic shirley ellis earworm now. excellent.

double beatin'
              keep repeating'
              right down to the nitty gritty, yeah

Comment

the PC Brigade

""reges et reginae" has a nice ring about it, so I can see why they wouldn't feel the need to use "reges" to mean kings and queens. "

"reges reginaeque", surely?

Comment

the PC Brigade

You mean first person plural there.
                  Yes. D'oh, schoolboy error.

Comment

the PC Brigade

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                    My dictionary (Chambers Murray) indeed gives "monarch" as a meaning, but I'm not convinced by it. I've seen no quote from an author where I wouldn't unhesitatingly translate "king".
                    And wouldn't 'sole ruler' be too vague for a language that was keen on the differences between 'king' 'tyrant' and 'dictator'? I can see what is meant by using 'monarch' to refer to a type of government (contrasted with the other -archies) as opposed to a specific person.

Comment

the PC Brigade

Toro, follow up question while you're down. What sort of subjunctive is that?

GY, yeah, I like your -que suffix there.

Bruno, they certainly did like those differences. They were keen (because of Tarquinius Superbus) to distinguish between a sole ruler called a "rex" and one called an "imperator". I think the taint to "rex" is always there (except for gods), so I like to say "king".

Comment

the PC Brigade

Hahaha.

Comment

the PC Brigade

Thank fuck for this!

Now. (deep breath)

TonTon is whomsoever he is, and generally a nice guy, and I am sure that there is someone more left wing than he is, but his (TT) are not generic.

I resent a few of his attitudes, and I dispel one other.

There is one major one where all communication breaks down. And I think he is a fuckwit.

I still think that I hold him as my moral standard. Wyatt comes in, occasionally and burns my thoughts, and makes me thing in/of a parallel world, but what TT says, goes.

Until now.
                          Have to say, ger, you've kinda lost me there.

I think you're disagreeing with me, but I'm not sure.

Any clues?

Bless you, I'm pretty sure no-one has ever called me their "moral standard" before. No matter how much dissing might have come before and after that.

Comment

the PC Brigade

Yeah? It always makes me go all lovey-dovey.
                            Awww, thanks that's so sweet.

Comment

the PC Brigade

From yesterday's Popbitch:

I see Suggs is now campaigning for human rights. It's Madness gone Politically Correct I tell you!

Comment

the PC Brigade

Bored Of Discipline wrote:
                                Personally, I feel that if they insist on using racist language after being informed that it is so, they are racist. I am not prepared to leave it until they are daubing "Pakis Out" on walls
                                That seems a strange aim.

Comment

the PC Brigade

I hate their half-hearted attitude, Harri

Comment

the PC Brigade

Tubby - nah, you're not having that one. I flagged and explained it already.

Comment

the PC Brigade

The MMR vaccine was "political correctness gone mad" until it became apparent that the Daily Mail's campaign on that subject was built upon, you guessed it, bullshit.
                                      Let's not pretend they've stopped doing it, either.

Comment

Working...
                                      X