Israel bombs Gaza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israel bombs Gaza

You have no idea what my views are. I don't think he is a prisoner as other prisoners are, just as I don't think the Palestinian Authority is a functioning state like other states.

Arguments of the You would say that wouldn't youa re not particularly helpful.

One could equally say you support the fundamentalist homophobic murderous anti-semitic fraction in some kind of power in the Gaza statelet because it's the policy of the central committee of your party.

Can we agree that he is a prisoner/hostage, then?

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

I'm really not saying anything particularly controversial or aggressive here. You'd struggle with the central committee thing, I think, since I was already supporting the murderous swine before I had a party. But anyway...

Everyone would agree he's a prisoner, so surely "prisoner" is the neutral word to use?

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

..and "abducted"?

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Captured.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Hostage.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

haha, fair dos.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

In addition to the insidiously lopsided language to which TonTon has drawn attention, the very fact that anyone's even heard of Gilad Shalit displays the imbalance of power.

Putting a name to a captured soldier, and putting a photo to that name, humanises them. But how many Palestinian prisoners can you name? Of course, Palestinian prisoners aren't people. They're statistics.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but this is an independent report on the war on Gaza (it's a long and fairly harrowing pdf file).

From the conclusion (which starts on page 77)
                  The underlying meaning of the attack on the Gaza Strip, or at least its final consequence, appears to be one of creating terror without mercy to anyone. [...] It appears that the wide range of attacks with sophisticated weaponry was predominantly focussed on terrorising the population.
                  In summary, an object of warfare is to acquire military dominance over the opponent. However, in the situation in the Gaza Strip, there seems to be already a significant military dominance from one opponent over the other. The real reason for this severe military attack on a predominantly civilian population remains rather obscure.
                  The legal analysis concludes that war crimes were committed on a repeated basis.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                    In addition to the insidiously lopsided language to which TonTon has drawn attention, the very fact that anyone's even heard of Gilad Shalit displays the imbalance of power.

Putting a name to a captured soldier, and putting a photo to that name, humanises them. But how many Palestinian prisoners can you name? Of course, Palestinian prisoners aren't people. They're statistics.
                    This is a much better point than the captured vs abducted one.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

he is not a prisoner like other prisoners. He's a bargaining unit
                      Prisoner of war trades have been happening forever, certainly since mediaval times so, by definition, prisoners of war have been bargaining units during that time.

Israel legalised keeping Lebanese and bargaining chips in 1997 to swap for Israelis

The other point is that the only reason that the 9,000 Palestinians, that are kept in Guantanamo-style conditions, aren't regarded as "bargaining chips" is because Palestine hasn't got any real power to bring to the table to bargain with.

Even if the Palestinians propose a like for like prisoner trade, Israel won't bother. They will just shell the fuck out of Palestinian civilians

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Olmert gets eight months in jail for corruption.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0525/703571-olmert-israel/

Better than nothing, I suppose.

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

Bloody hell, where did my last post come from?

Comment

Israel bombs Gaza

It's remarkable how the 2009 reads much as the 2014 thread. And how the world last year had forgotten all about the atrocities of 2009.

Comment

Working...
                            X