The best ways of enjoying Coca-Cola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drink a lot more of it than normal at this time of year, it may be their Xmas-themed marketing or perhaps because it is such a scientifically proven cure-all for sore throats and hangovers.

It is vitally important to drink it from the best sources though. In order of delightfulness;

1) Glass 330ml bottle - the king of drinks, the perfect amount and the perfect receptacle and tastes wonderful straight from the bottle or it's ice cold and you're going to drink it swiftly (ice cubes dilute it too much) from the glass.

2) 330ml can - loses something from the glass bottle in taste but is far more widely available and portable. Has to be ice cold of course (from a chiller with doors not one of those all too popular ones which barely bring the temperature of a drink down and pump electricity in to the ether).

3) The first glass from a 1 or 2 litre bottle - straight from the fridge at home, it has a wonderful effervescence which means it challenges the can for second place but being a plastic bottle it loses something on flavour. Sadly no other glass from a large bottle can match the first (see below). Note: I am not actually sure if 1 litre bottles are still available and if glass bottles are available for any size over 330ml, if so I have not seen them in over a decade in the UK.

4) 500ml plastic bottle - it's too big, that's undeniable. You never need that much, however hard you convince yourself you do. It's also even more prone to being stored in those open chillers mentioned above and is becoming the dominant form of Coke available. I think the plastic is thicker and more rigid than the larger bottles too which negatively effects flavour and effervescence.

5) Anything after the first glass from a 1 or 2 litre bottle - it'll always suffer greatly in comparison to that first glass won't it? Even when you buy one of those pump caps it never quite keeps it fizzy enough. This is the kind of Coke you will probably drink the most of at home over Xmas so it has a certain cosy feel to it but we can't be too sentimental.

6) Any other format I've forgotten or is available in other countries - please feel free to contribute your own suggestions here (Don't say you don't like Coca-Cola you freak) except for...

Last and will always be last and they shouldn't be allowed to call it Coke or Coca-Cola - Post-mix syrup through a tap in a pub - I'm sorry it's just fucking disgusting. 30 years after the Sodastream people still try and peddle this substandard thin gloop with far too big carbonated bubbles pimped through it as The Real Thing. It's not, fuck off. Don't you try and make ME think I'm some kind of ponce because I check if you have bottles or cans before I confirm my order of Coke, OK?!

The classic 8 ounce in green glass (or its older 6.5 ounce sibling).

Ideally, it should be of the type that has the location of the bottling plant embossed on the bottom (like the one below), but those were rather rare even when I was in university. There was a famous pizza place in Boston's North End that used to stockpile them, and command premium prices (at least 75 cents a bottle, which was real money in 1977).

Waterbury, Connecticut. Not one you wanted to get if you were playing that the one with the bottle from the closest plant had to pay for the round.

Comment

With a scoop of vanilla ice-cream plopped in.

Comment

There's really no point buying a 2l bottle unless you're hosting a children's party. It goes flat so quickly.

Comment

The 500ml bottle is the only way to fly.
          Cans are cack because you can't re-seal them.
          The demi-litro is the perfect size.

Comment

Used to top up a mug of coffee.

Comment

Really? How so?

Comment

Well, you just pour some Coke into a mug of coffee. Serves as a sweetener and pumps the amount of caffeine up to a respectable level.

Comment

I have never heard of anyone doing that before. It reminds me of a friend at college who used to drink red wine & Coke mixed.

Comment

Sounds absolutely horrific, especially if you're using halfway decent coffee. Does it not make it slightly fizzy?

Comment

Harri Xmas wrote:
                      friend at college who used to drink red wine & Coke mixed.
                      That's something the Spanish seem to like. Sounds absolutely vile to me.

Anyway the best way to drink coca-cola is not to drink the stuff at all. It's absolutely terrible for your teeth and then there's all the dodgy anti-trade union actvities the coca-cola company is involved with.

Comment

It's not a technique best employed with expensive coffee. But as an early morning pick-me-up it's hard to beat.

Comment

Throwing unopened bottles straight into a recycling bin.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
                            There's really no point buying a 2l bottle unless you're hosting a children's party. It goes flat so quickly.
                            Truer words, etc.

At my sister's house, they don't even bother refrigerating them once they're opened, which would at least slow down the decay a bit.

There is nothing worse than flat Coke. Except for maybe bat piss.

Comment

Yeah, thanks Nigella ...now fuck off.

After you've stared into the ugly face of soft-drink/food-related death, you might be feeling brave enough to also try cooking with Dr. Pepper...

...and cooking with 7up:

All this!

And more!

At the Gallery of Regrettable Food.

Comment

I like the Fentiman's cola. Proper nice, it is.

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                    Throwing unopened bottles straight into a recycling bin.
                                    Which would fuck up the recycling efforts of others.

Comment

I've had that Ham in Coca-Cola, cooked by a proper American like before Nigella started hawking it around. Lush, it was.

Comment

That sounds mental. Presumably it was discovered as a result of an accident?

Eugh

Comment

Fentimans? A quid for 275ml?

Get some of this down yer.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                            I like the Fentiman's cola. Proper nice, it is.
                                            I like their ginger beer and shandy but seeing it always sets me off going ;

"Nice carpet, Hugh. Tideyman's?"

"Who else, if you'll pardon the pun."

"What pun?"

"Oh, wasn't there one? Sorry."

Comment

I bet that ham in Coke is lovely. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows with your main course are, as everyone knows, the real US food abomination. I would guess.

Comment

Ham in coke is meant to be amazing. My uncle makes it fairly often.

Comment

That gallery site is total nonsense.

"RABBIT????!!!!!??!!one///eleven Who eats RABBIT?? I mean, imagine! Rabbit!"

Dickwad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X