Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another stupid quiz request...

Hofzinser wrote:
    I've got the second one (the one that begins with the question about the dog in Frasier) but only through Googling. One for people of a certain age, I think.
    Oh yeah. Fuck's sake.

Comment

Is the first one just "Four word titles the third of which is 'the'", or is it something more substantive? I don't know the Salford soap.

Comment

Bet you feel a right Charlie now.
        Aha. The penny drops.

Comment

I've been googling and wiki-ing away too. Apparently, there is no Wikipedia entry for "Strewlpeter". I don't find many gaps like that on wiki these days.

Comment

You just have to get the right spelling.

Comment

Is the first one just "Four word titles the third of which is 'the'",
              ha ha, like the joke about Kermit the Frog and Henry the Eighth!

Comment

Struwwelpeter, he means.

Comment

Lord Mauleverer wrote:

Is the first one just "Four word titles the third of which is 'the'",
                  ha ha, like the joke about Kermit the Frog and Henry the Eighth!
                  You mean Robert the Bruce and Rupert the Bear.

Comment

Is the first one just "Four word titles the third of which is 'the'", or is it something more substantive? I don't know the Salford soap.
                    That doesn't work for the first question ("their" is the word you want).

Comment

Oh, of course. I don't know then.

Comment

Christmas Football and Music Challenge

(Compiled by Phil and Tony)

Goals pay the rent... [6 points]

1. Who won the Golden Boot at the 1966 World Cup Finals?

2. Who was the last English player to win the Premier League Golden Boot and in which season did he achieve it? [one point for each part of the answer]

3. Who was the Premier League’s first Golden Boot winner?

4. In 1984, who scored a record nine goals in the finals of the European Championship?

5. Which Celtic player won the European Golden Boot in 2000-01?

The name of this band is... [5 points]

6. True or false: Keane are named after Roy Keane, because the East Sussex band are all keen Manchester United supporters.

7. Jeffrey Hyman, John Cummings, Thomas Erdelyi and Douglas Colvin became better know as...?

8. By what name is David Robert Hayward Stenton Jones more commonly known?

9. What is The Edge from U2's real name?

10. By what name did Johnny And The Moondogs become better known?

“Best league in the world, blah blah blah ...” [6 points]

11. Three former Football League champions have never played in the Premier League. Name two of them [1 point if you get one, 2 points for two or more]

12. Who became the Premier League’s youngest scorer, following his goal for Everton against Crystal Palace in 2005?

13. Which player has the most Premier League winners’ medals with 10?

14. Of the current Premier League teams to have won the old First Division, which club has to go furthest back (1919-20) for their last title?

15. Who holds the record for most Premier League appearances with 535 games?

So let me introduce to you.... [6 points]

16. Taking their current name from a Talking Heads song, which British band was originally called “On A Friday”?

17. Which girl vocal group was formed in 1996 by Shaznay Lewis, Melanie Blatt and sisters Nicole and Natalie Appleton?

18. Which American band is fronted by Lux Interior and Poison Ivy?

19. Which of these composers was born first? Mozart, Beethoven or Brahms?

20. Which legendary British rock band has at various times included the following members: Mick Shrimpton, Ross MacLochness; Joe Besser and John “Stumpy” Pepys. (1 point and a bonus point if you can give the cause of Pepys’ death in 1967).

Three Lions on my chest... [8 points]

21. Name the four players to have scored 40 goals or more for England. (1 point for each)

22. In 1977, who became the first manager of the England under-21 team?

23. Three current players appear in the top 10 of England’s most capped players. David Beckham and Michael Owen are two. Who is the other?

24. Which England player hooked the ball in the air to give Maradona the chance to score the “hand of God” goal?

25. Who scored England’s only goal in the 1992 European Championships?

This is my song... [6 points]

26. Having won X Factor in 2006, what was Leona Lewis’s debut single called?

27. Lyrics from a Clash song....

You owe me a move, say the bells of St. Groove

Come on and show me, say the bells of old Bowie

When I am fitter, say the bells of Gary Glitter

No one but you and I say... WHO?

28. Which classic 1973 song name checked the following - Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, Jackie Curtis and Joe Dallesandro?

29. Which 1979 number one was sampled by the Sugababes on Freak Like Me?

30. What is the name of the music played by Lt. Colonel Kilgore's “Air Cav” during the helicopter attack in Apocalypse Now (one point for the music and a bonus point for the composer)

Playing for the shirt... [6 points]

31. Who won the last British Home International Championship tournament, held in 1983-1984?

32. With 150 caps, who has made the most appearances for Germany?

33. With 15 goals in total, who holds the record for the most goals scored overall in World Cup finals?

34. Who was the first person to captain and manage a world cup winning team?

35. Where will the 2014 World Cup Finals be held?

I know a place... [6 points]

36. The line in The Smiths’ song about “Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin and Humberside” included which other British city?

37. From which neighbourhood of Manchester do Oasis originally come?

Question 37 should read: "Which City produced The Human League, Pulp and
                        Arctic Monkeys..."?

38. What would you expect to find if you visited 2648 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, Michigan?

39. In which German city did Kraftwerk record their classic albums Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express?

40. “Where little cable cars, climb halfway to the stars...” Name the city featured in this famous song.

We all follow the [somebody or other] over land and sea... [8 points]

41. What is the name of Swansea City’s ground?

42. Who did Real Madrid beat in the first European Cup Final in 1956?

43. Four Scottish football club nicknames: The Jags, The Blue Brazil, Bully Wee and The Pars. Name the clubs [1 point each]

44. Which German club play at the Olympiastadion?

45. Which player currently wears the Number 80 shirt for AC Milan?

Comment

Who was the last bowler to take a wicket with his first ball in test cricket?

Comment

I need a good - and, ideally, difficult to Google - Christmas-themed question to send round my office this afternoon. It also must be a question that could be offered as a four-optioned multiple choice.

I have a few ideas, obviously, but anyone have any particularly good ones to suggest?

Comment

Any Geordies in your office? You could ask which city sends a tree every year to the people of Newcastle, in thanks for their soldiers' part in liberation from Nazi occupation?

A. Rotterdam, Holland
                              B. Stockholm, Sweden
                              C. Warsaw, Poland
                              D. Bergen, Norway

Comment

And if anyone says C, you can point at them and laugh.

Comment

Or indeed B.

Comment

Not bad, although it turns out to be very easily Googleable.

I'm thinking of doing a wordplay-type question along the lines of:

Which of the words above belongs in the following list?

With the words having, I dunno, names of country in them or something. or I was thinking of a list featuring Gallagher (Rory), a famous Fielding (Helen), a famous Redding (Otis) etc, with the key being they all share their names with famous Noels, except I don't know of any other particularly famous Edmonds or Cowards, or indeed any other Noels.

You get the idea (and also a fair idea of how much work I have on today).

Usually (we have two of these per day in the run up to Christmas) it's just the fastest respondent that wins, but if I can get something like the above sorted then I'll give the win to whoever gets the answer in fastest and can explain why it's the right answer, with sheer speed only being rewarded if no one actually works out the why bit.

Comment

How about something like "After I opened the presents that my true love gave to me on the twelfth day of Christmas, how many birds, and how many gold rings, had I received during the 12 days in total?"

You can google the words to the song, but it still takes a bit of working out, especially as it's not a straightforward progression - you get the same number of birds on the fifth day as on the fourth, and then the same on the eighth day as the seventh, and so on.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
                                        I don't know of any other particularly famous Edmonds or Cowards, or indeed any other Noels.
                                        I suggest Phil(lippe Henri) Edmonds, the cricketer. There was also a guy called Charles Coward who smuggled Jewish prisoners out of Auschwitz, though he's undeservedly obscure.

Other Noels? I dunno. Can you stretch to Christmas Humphreys and Yul Brynner? I was originally trying to dream up a question involving those two and a Noel, but failed.

Comment

Ah, good idea. I've done an odd one out question, featuring Noel Redding, Yul Brynner, Christmas Humphreys and Nick Easter.

Comment

Working...
                                          X