Intrigue in the Canadian Parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read in a couple of places that the Opposition parties (Liberals, NDP, Bloc Quebecios) are considering getting a vote of no confidence against the ruling Tory minority government and installing a coalition government?

Now is this just some crazy talk perputrated by the opposition, or do they mean business? Also, if they do get in power, could they get along in government?

See Antonio Gramsci's "Battle Royal in the NPS" thread for recent postings on this.

Utterly fascinating developments, this business.

Comment

Most recent posts here.

My 28-11-2008 is where it starts up.

Comment

Thanks, WOM. Intresting read.

Comment

That thread is a couple of days old, and Gramsci's out of country at the moment. But today, the coalition is very much looking like a done deal, with a vote happening next Monday. My prediction (and I'm going to take a good beating over this) is that next Tuesday, we'll all be raising our glass to Prime Minister Michael Ignatieff.

Caveat: Harper can choose to stand-down Parliament without dissolving it, and then all bets are off. Gonna be an interesting week.

Comment

Fascinating stuff, WOM. The only situation in US which remotely approached this is when a Senator switched parties and handed the US Senate over from the Republicans to the Democrats. The past year has seen some crazy stuff in Canadian politics.

Unrelated question-how is the Bloc viewed in English speaking Canada?

Comment

Surely Gramsci is only trying to convince us (and the many intelligence services that monitor OTF) that he is in Uganda.

We all know that he's pulling the strings for the whole thing behind the scenes. Ignatieff better watch his back . . .

Comment

As a fairly benign nuisance/fact of life. They're not banging on about separating any more, so I think they're mainly seen as 'wanting to represent Quebec's interests'. They don't run candidates outside the province, so they wear their agenda on their sleeve. I disagree with Gramsci that it would be the kiss of death for the Liberals to align with them in a coalition.

Linus would have a better take on them, albeit from inside the zone.

Comment

WOM - Go listen to some talk radio this weekend that isn't CBC. You'll see. This is utter madness.

Mind you, Harper's threat to prorogue Parliament just two weeks after a throne speech so he can avoid a vote on this issue strikes me as equally disastrous from a tactical point of view. To preserve democracy, he'll shut down Parliament? Fuck, why not just invoke the War Measures Act?

Here, things are much simpler. Don't fuck with Museveni.

Actually, Harper may be chanelling him.

Comment

It may be utter madness, but I still think it's going to happen. Rae was on CTV with morning with (eurgh) Seamus O'Regan and he seems to be taking it quite seriously. And Harper seems to be in a real sweat about it.

Comment

[moved this from the other thread]

The BQ have promised to support a coalition for a year (whatever that's worth.)

This is a fucking mess. There's really no good outcome I can see. The three or four headed hydra that would run a Lib/NDP coalition will be less effective than Toro and SSS reaching concensus on a new Pope and Harper doesn't deserve to lead the country after the tricks he's pulled in the past week. The best hope is the other parties continue to use the prospect of coalition as a threat to get him to back off. It's worked pretty well so far but they can only cry wolf once or twice, then he'll call their bluff.

Comment

This is turning into a two-threaded monster.

Comment

I know, you'd replied, before I could delete my message from the old thread.

Thing is, Harper is an economist and - by all accounts - a very smart man. If he had avoided the election funding issue entirely, and personally explained the budget and the reasons for it lacking a stimulus package, it would have been much harder for this whole coalition thing to take root. But given the 'Harper fear' factor, the vote funding looked horribly cynical and partisan, and the stimulus package thing looks like a repeat of his 'good opportunity to buy' faux-pas during the election. Mr Control has now fucked himself twice in two months.

He's clever but I'm not sure how smart he is otherwise he'd have avoided the tunnel vision and arrogance that got him into this mess.

Comment

Didn't know I'd be eating my words so soon, but it's been announced that Stephan Dion will be the coalition leader until the official Liberal leadership race in March/April. Then it will be PM Ignatieff.

If this whole thing goes forward, of course.

Comment

That'll be great. Bob and Iggy will be running around the country drumming support for their leadership campaign, leaving things in the hands of Mr Bobblehead and The Moustache That Walks Like a Man. Oh joy.

Comment

Maybe this is what Dion meant when he kept saying he loved it when people underestimated him. Wouldn't it be great if he then called off the leadership race in the name of stability 'for the good of the country'.

Comment

I kind of like Ignatieff. As a columnist.I mean, some chunks of what he said were bollocks, but tihs is true of almost every columnist. I thought he had a lot of useful things to say about nationalism in the early 1990s, especially.

I got called in to a "brainstorming" session with him during his last run at the leadership (I know a couple of the young'uns in his entourage). I liked the session. He was engaged, reasonably engaging himself, and he's undeniably quite bright. But he ran it like a seminar. I just could not fathom how this guy thought he could run anything , let alone something as unwieldy as a government.

Comment

One gets the sense that he's entirely lacking in charisma. Fair?

Comment

I think he's like Dalton McGuinty in the sense that his charisma is inversely proportionate to the number of people in the room. In small groups, he's great. With lots of people, he comes across as wooden.

Mind you, he also gets better with preparation. he can deliver an OK stump speech. Not a barn burner, but not terrible either. Unplanned scrums are the worst.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                        Maybe this is what Dion meant when he kept saying he loved it when people underestimated him. Wouldn't it be great if he then called off the leadership race in the name of stability 'for the good of the country'.
                                        That would be awesome. I'd much rather have Dion as PM than Iggy. AG, how can you like Ignatieff in light of his strong support for the Iraq War? we woul have definitely been taking casualties by the dozen and spending billions on that horrible colonial enterprise had he been the PM a few years ago.

The future parties to a coalition governement are very disparate, but the prospect of being a part of the federal government, something that the Bloc and NDP could only dream of under normal circumstances, must be enticing enough to keep them in line for a year or two.

WOM, yes indeed, it's kind of hard for me to assess how the Bloc Quebecois is perceived in English Canada, being within Quebec.

This is a really interesting time in Canadian politics, to say the least. It's good to see no adverse impact of all this turmoil on the currency so far, I thought the Loonie was going to further tank this morning but it is stable so far.

Comment

The TSX isn't though, down over 860 points at close.

Comment

It's just following the Dow; down on the news of the US recession being official.

Comment

The Iraq argument about Ignatieff doesn't move me very much, to be honest. As I said, I don't agree with everything he said and it's not obvious to me that how he acted and spoke as a columnist has much to do with how he will act and speak as a leader of a political party. There are far more constraints on you in the latter situation. Your Quebec caucus, for one.

Playing with the Bloc is dangerous. The Liberals are laying the fate of the country in the hands of people who want to destroy it. People seem to be under the impression that it's acceptable to speak to the Bloc about a coalition because they are "progressive" (a description I'd have a hard time applying to their rural caucus) and because there's no prospect of independence any time soon, so they're "tame".

This, of course, is bullshit. Don't think for one moment separatism is dead. It's just resting.

It's also strategically naive on the Liberals' part. One of the few things holding their appeal to the centre-left is the idea that the NDP is too wacky to ever gain power. Just by signing this deal, even if the coup doesnt come off, they've flushed that one down the drain. I think the Liberals may actually already be dead as a party.

Apparently Roger Gibbin of the Canada West foundation is floating the idea that the Governor General should "Just Say No" - no election, refuse harper's resignation...just tell him to go back and make a serious good-fatih effort to find a compromise. I think this would probably be the best solution. The Prime Minister would be chastened, we wouldn't have an election, and we would not let the Bloc anywhere near the levers of power.

Comment

What are the bounds of the GG's powers? And to whom is she officially accountable?

Comment

Some hardcore PQ separatists are incensed over the Bloc being a part of the federal government, perhaps because this would further weaken the separatists position.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X