Next UK high street retailer to go tits up pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've already had MFI, Woolworth's, PC World and Curry's.

Which is the next one that makes you think "yeah, I used to go in there quite a bit, but now I don't bother" that might announce its liquidation tomorrow morning?

My money's on WH Smith's. Their increasingly desperate advertising campaigns to get us to buy their stockpiles of Jeremy "Best ... In the World" Clarkson, Michael "Tweren't like that in Barnsley when I were a lad" Parkinson and Gordon "Cunt!" Ramsay books at half price for Christmas (like anyone would spend more than 50p, let alone £9.99, on them to begin with) suggests to me that WH Smith's vouchers are not the thing to be buying for Christmas presents for anyone.

Who's still peddling CDs? I'll pick them.

Comment

Reminds me of this Onion article:

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business

Comment

More seriously, I can't work out how Blockbuster Video is still in business.

Comment

I heard rumours of their impending bankruptcy about three years ago. No idea whose money they're burning through. Circuit City's bankrupt now, too.

Comment

What's keeping Blockbuster afloat is that they don't buy the videos they rent, but rather have a revenue sharing arrangement with the studio/distributor.

And they are still burning about a billion USD a year in cash.

Comment

Woolworth's own Entertainment UK, one of WH Smith's main suppliers so you may be right, Rogin.

Comment

According to wiki, they were once worth $8.2 billion. Now down to $500 million. And burning through over a billion a year since 2002. Eurgh.

Comment

Sainsburys dvd stocks running low round my way as their supplied by Woolies arm as well. Rosebys and Dolcis are also no more for the high street either.

River Island for me.

Comment

Er... PC World and Currys are still tits down, guys.

WH Smiths aren't relying on their CD and DVD sales to keep them solvent, so no. Who supplies envelopes and greetings cards?

EUK's supermarket businesses will find other ways to trade in the next few days.

If you were being ghoulish (which judging by the thread title you are) I would look at Zavvi (formerly Virgin). EUK exclusive.

But hey, lots of jobs lost, eh? Let's have a fucking party!

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                      We've already had MFI, Woolworth's, PC World and Curry's.

Which is the next one that makes you think "yeah, I used to go in there quite a bit, but now I don't bother" that might announce its liquidation tomorrow morning?

My money's on WH Smith's.
                      I dont normally foam at the mouth in the mornings, unless I am lucky, but THIS post from Rogin... I really, REALLY, hope comes true.

There is not enough space to say what a bunch of homophobic, sexist, racist bunch of wankers, they really are.

Comment

WH Smiths seem to have done the half price books adverts for about 5 Christmas's running, I'd put it down to actually a rather clever appeal to all the people who are hopeless at buying presents, don't know anyone who wouldn't be dealt with with something from Alan Carr or Clarkson. And hell if you sell twice as many you've got the money back. I always thought Smiths main income was from magazines and papers. I don't know anyone who makes a point of going there for a CD.

Comment

Smiths were strongly rumoured to be pulling out of the CD market early next year anyway, even before these supply issues.

Entertainment (including games and DVD) contributes 10% of the WHS takings - for Woolworths that figure is nearer 30%.

Comment

I'd go for Ann Summers. To the extent that I know about such things, they sell over-priced, cheap looking tat which is neither sexy nor stylish.

Comment

There is not enough space to say what a bunch of homophobic, sexist, racist bunch of wankers, they really are.
                              Surely there's enough space to give us a precis?

I hate that they overprice hardback books by a phenomenal amount, that they don't order books in for you like Waterstones, and that even by the time paperback versions of their stock has come out Asda are flogging them for half the price, but I admit I've never actually been affronted by Smith's racist homophobia.

Comment

JD + JJB Sports will never die.

We need our adidas and nike 110's too much...we're a nation in tracksuits.

Comment

Didn't Barratts buy Dolcis?

Comment

Barratt Homes? Taking a bit of a gamble that the reports of the old woman who lived in a shoe indicates a significant market opportunity, if you ask me.

Comment

Me, I hate Smiths because they're a crap newsagent and they refuse to sell you a simple biro these days for less than a quid. You have to buy a posh one or a pack.

Comment

Ah, yes.

There is a WH Smiths in Brighton that is eye-wateringly expensive. Probably the most expensive shop I've ever been in.

From memory, a packet of Polos was 65p or something.

Comment

My financially-aware brother reckons Build-a-Bear is not long for this world.

Comment

In itself probably sufficient to make global economic meltdown worthwhile.

Comment

Well, you know that, and I know that, but my eight-year-old daughter's going to hit the fucking roof.

Comment

There'll be something else along in a minute.

Comment

Although the bears must be doomed I think the hideous Past Times chain might just beat them to it. Why would anybody who likes old stuff buy new fake old stuff? And if you don't like old stuff why go in there?

Only people with more money than sense, really wilfully wasteful shoppers must have shopped there. And now even they are feeling the pinch.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X