Speech synthesis programs (free)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will no doubt come as a shock to those of you that know me to hear that I don't actually have one of these. That is, a program that allows you to type in a phrase and it repeats it back to you in a number of (robot-like) voices. I used to, but on an old, long-dead PC which went in the bin a decade ago.

So... does anyone know of a free (or very nearly so) speech synthesis program that would perform such a function? I only need it to be basic, although if it was somehow tuneable, so you could set its 'key' that would be great. If it had a variety of robot-like voices that would be cool too. As you can imagine, I intend (eventually) to put it to music-related purposes.

Cheers in advance.

Well there's 'Narrator' which has come as part of Windows since Windows 2000. I'm not sure how you invoke it on XP though.

Comment

You might find something in this list.

Until recently I was working in this area, but none of the text-to-speech software I came into contact with free.

Comment

Macs also have this feature via TextEdit. There are a dozen or so different voices, too. I can explain more if you are interested.

Comment

Text to speech converter

Comment

If you want software like that specifically for music, do a search for "Virsyn Cantor".

Comment

Cheers, y'all - that's great. I think I'm sorted now.

While I was rummaging around, I chanced across this, too:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/sayit.htm

Nice and simple, but maybe not as versatile as I'm looking for. I thought I'd share it with you all, just the same.

Comment

Working...
              X