Firefox add-ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox add-ons

Question for OTF's Firefox users, which add-ons are you using? I'm curious to know if there's anything really good I'm missing out on. I've got:

Download Statusbar: Tidy download bar
    FireFTP: A very good FTP client
    Foxmarks: Synchronises bookmarks between computers. Very useful
    gTranslate: Right-click to translate something
    PermaTabs Mod: This locks tabs. I've just got this terrible habit of closing useful tabs, often ones playing podcasts I'm listening to
    Yahoo! Mail! Notifier!
    Gmail Notifier

I know people will say Adblock Plus, but I can't be arsed with it. I just don't notice adverts anymore

Firefox add-ons

Footiefox. You know it makes sense.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

I don't use any.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Sage, the RSS and Atom feed reader.
        I sometime also use FoxyTunes, too.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

I've fallen in love with Zotero, which helps you manage research projects.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

FireShot
            FoxLingo
            Adblock Plus
            GSpace
            BugMeNot
            1-click Weather

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Adblock Plus & Filterset

CustomizeGoogle (removes ads, turns all search results into one never-ending page (as you reach the bottom of what would be that page, it loads the next page of results and tacks it onto the bottom).

FireFTP (ftp client)

IE View (adds option to load current tab into IE)

NoScript (for security; disables active content unless specifically enabled)

Right-Click-Link (opens highlighted text in a new tab - useful for links that aren't clickable) & Snap Links (allows you to open all links in a draggable rectangle).

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Adblock Plus (don't use Filterset.G - too many false positives - use the EasyList+EasyElement lists instead)

British English Dictionary (highlights spelling mistakes in text boxes and lets you right click to correct them - very useful)

ColorZilla - colour picker, useful for web development

Download Statusbar - see your downloads at the bottom of the page - very handy

Firebug - I could not build web applications without this - a truly marvellous debugging tool

FireShot - screengrab tool - lets you get the whole page (including stuff out of view at the bottom)

Foxmarks - automatically synchronises all my bookmarks between home and work - immense

Gmail Notifier - pretty obvious really

IE Tab - automatically makes certain sites (e.g. Windows Update, some banking sites) open in a tab that uses the Internet Explorer engine (but still within the firefox 'frame') - saving having to load another application

Java Quick Starter - not sure what this is - I think Sun added it, the cheeky fuckers.

Live HTTP Headers - another useful web development tool

Print Preview - should be in the main app anyway really - lets you right click and get a print preview (handy on popups where the menu is missing)

TVU Web Player - one of the apps I use to watch football added this - not a clue what it does - probably sends Peter Scudamore my address or something

Web Developer - handy toolbar for all things web development

YSlow - Yahoo! utility for analysing web pages and giving hints why they might be loading slowly - again, handy for web development

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Adblock Plus
                  Fire ftp
                  Greasemonkey
                  Sqlite manager
                  Web developer

Firefox is invaluable for web development.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Don't all these plug-ins slow things down?

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Most of them are only invoked on demand, so in most cases they only really slow the initial launch of the program.

There are some really poor plugins out there that do slow things down badly. I had a torrent search bar for a while, which was complete rubbish. It's easy enough to work out from the ratings which ones to avoid though.

I'm astonished Stumpy doesn't want to install adblock plus. All that bandwidth going to waste, all those slow page loads!

Comment

Firefox add-ons

In order of usefulness to me. I use Netvibes for all my RSS feeds but increasingly want to switch to iGoogle for better integration with the Google suite which I'm using more and more these days.

Delicious extension: If you've got a Delicious account then absolutely essential.

Better Gmail 2: Adds greesemonkey and scripts in an easy to use single add on.

UK Dictionary: Spell checking within email and forum posts.

Videodownloader: Allows you to save flvs from youtube etc. as stand alone files.

IETab: Renders page in IE engine. Useful for site using WMV files/players.

Screengrab: Grabs the whole of a webpage or just the visible portion of it and either saves it to the HD or copies it to the clipboard.

AdblockPlus: Although it was be distracting because anything flash is given a little translucent 'block' tab. I also find it impossible to customise. But reading The Guardian site without it now is like sticking needles in my eyes.

Firefox Throttle: If you're in webdev at all then this acts as a proxy server to simulate loading speeds at various bandwidth settings

StumbleUpon: If you have StumbleUpon account it works really nicely. Guaranteed to waste your time

Gspace: Allows you to use your Gmail space as a temporary ftp server. A bit flakey but generally works well. I only ever need it if I've forgotten my memory stick though.

Comment

Firefox add-ons

Exif Viewer - if you're nosey about what kind of camera and exposure settings people are using.

Comment

Working...
                          X