shampoo scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shampoo scandal

the mumbai massacre doesn't make the front page of any of tomorrow's irish newspapers. they all lead with the story that minister for health mary harney charged a $410 wash & blow dry to the government training agency FAS.

the story is a continuation of the FAS scandal that broke at the weekend, in which senior officials were discovered to have been charging outlandish personal expenses to the agency. the marie antoinette touch was $400 for some as yet unnamed official - then "very close to the boss", we hear, but since transferred from the department - to get her nails done during a trip to florida.

FAS

the head of the agency, rody molloy, tried to defend himself yesterday, telling pat kenny on radio 1 that it was OK for him to charge his wife's business-class transatlantic flight to FAS, because if he had been travelling alone he would have flown first class "as [his] right". hours after taoiseach brian cowen declared that molloy retained his full confidence, public outrage forced his resignation.

while these expenses were being debated in the dail harney sat tight and said nothing, but was then forced to deny she was the one who'd had her nails done, which is when this wash & blow story emerged. there remains some doubt over whether the $410 was incurred in a single visit to the stylist, or whether there were three separate grooming incidents.

mary harney:

i always thought she had a touch of general woundwort about her

but i wouldn't have thought her personally corrupt. dangerous and incompetent sure, but she doesn't seem like she's in it for the money.

that said, she never objected to any of the record-breaking pay increases irish politicians awarded themselves over the last few years, so as tanaiste she was making about €225,000. it pisses me off that the best-paid deputy leader in the world doesn't pay her own personal discretionary expenses and submit her receipts, like i have to do if i want the company to pay for anything when i'm away on business.

shampoo scandal

There's something about dour-faced women that makes me want to go down on them.

Though in this case I'll gladly make an exception.

Comment

shampoo scandal

You are the anti-ganja, HORN.

Comment

shampoo scandal

Horn, exceptions are for wimps.
        Even worse for your ego is after sushi sampling you put your head up and she had that look on her face.

You just know you either have to get back on the job or get your coat and leave.

Comment

shampoo scandal

are we the only country in the EU with a morbidly obese minister for health? Even charlie haughey gave up the cigarettes when he became minister. Someone tried to raise this point after she was appointed and they were shouted down by the embarassed mob.

Harney is an interesting kettle of fish. All of her supporters keep saying that she is so brave. Apparently this comes from a time when as a junior minister in a democratically elected government she passed a piece of legislation banning the sale of smoky coal a mere 33 years after london did it. Old people were being hospitalised by smog and harney bravely brought in this legislation against the massed forces of about 10 coal merchants around dublin.

To hear this story retold by her supporters you'd think that she had plunged into an inferno and rescued an entire ward of infants.

I think like a lot of the govt she has been in power so long she has lost sight of what is the govt's and what is hers. Her and that cunt charlie mcCreevy saw nothing wrong with going and staying in the villa of Ulick McEvaddy when he was trying to build a second terminal at dublin Airport.

Personally, the sooner she fucks off into retirement the better.

Comment

shampoo scandal

And I am the Life wrote:
            smoky coal
            I now have a Smurf earworm...

Comment

shampoo scandal

hmm, newstalk is talking about harney almost continuously, surfing on a wave of angry text messages. RTE radio is focussing on the mumbai attacks.

Comment

shampoo scandal

here she is with the $400 haircut.

did the taxpayer get value for money? the hair does look quite glossy, but i still think she could have done it herself with a knife and fork.

Comment

shampoo scandal

When I saw the URL, I assumed you were making a joke about her size.

Comment

shampoo scandal

I was thinking that you could probably buy a pudding bowl and a scissors for a lot less than $400.

Comment

shampoo scandal

Can somebody explain how Mary Harney getting a haircut on expenses is different to the bill for Bertie's makeup?

Comment

shampoo scandal

I'm no great lover of Mary Harney but I'd prefer focus on the expense policy of FAS that this sideshow that is garnering most of the publicity. Shane Ross and others have been looking for information on money spent by FAS for quite a while without much information being forthcoming.

Comment

shampoo scandal

Were you 'Nil a fhios agam' on the old board?

Comment

shampoo scandal

Shouldn't the thread title have been, "Oh o, we're in trouble!"?

Comment

shampoo scandal

bertie had a makeup budget within his department. There would have been a problem if the ESB had been paying for the taoiseach's makeup, along with free trips for everyone in first class travel.

Comment

shampoo scandal

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                Were you 'Nil a fhios agam' on the old board?
                                I was. I changed my name after the Holland Russia game in the European Championship. I did try to keep some continuity with Nil.

Comment

Working...
                                X