Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Nothing can make you crave sugar more than being told you can't have it. Last week my doctor informed me that my blood glucose was too high. He didn't come right out and tell me that I have type 2 or even insulin resistance, since it will probably resolve itself when I stop taking prednisone, but he did say that I should try to lose some weight and avoid eating sugar in the meantime.

Well I wasn't wanting anything with sugar in until he said that, and now I find myself obsessing over it. It feels not unlike trying to quit smoking, only harder.

At least it does explain why I've been feeling so tired and sleepy lately, especially after I eat.

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

I bought a little bag of those whittled-down carrots on the way in today. I decided I'd have those in the afternoon as a healthier snack.

Instead of actually opening them, I've just had the other half of yesterday's [small] bag of M&Ms and a chocolate pudding cup.

I'm a sad, sad man.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

He told me I could eat yoghurt, as long as it was plain. I think I'd rather eat toe jam.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

It reminds me of summer. I like it on toast in the dark days of winter.

Oh, wait, that's strawberry jam.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Can't have that either.

This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Surely you've forgotten Season One of The Simpsons, or the Ford Pinto, or New Coke? Those all sucked pretty good.

What about the sugar alternatives? Splenda and that sort of thing. Can you have those?

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Yikes. I'd hate to have to do that. It would practically be the same as "Just don't eat anything."

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Exactly.

WOM - Yes, I can have Splenda, but I have yet to find a bag of M&Ms made with the stuff.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                  Surely you've forgotten Season One of The Simpsons, or the Ford Pinto, or New Coke? Those all sucked pretty good.
                  The Simpsons season 1 had "Bart the Genius," "Crepes of Wrath," "Bart the General," "The Telltale Head," and "Life in the Fastlane" (Jacques the bowling instructor). All great.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

WOM - Yes, I can have Splenda, but I have yet to find a bag of M&Ms made with the stuff.
                    Just take a regular bag and sprinkle it over them, like cereal.

Oh, wait...

And Season One sucked mainly due to the animation and the voices not being 'right' yet.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

No, this sucks waaay more. At least the exploding Pinto had an exciting element of danger to it.

New Coke was easy enough to avoid.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

It didn't suck to those of us who first saw them on the Tracy Ulman Show.

Or Tracey Ullman, even.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

True. But early-adopters had nothing to compare it to. You go back now and watch Season One and it's like 'ew'. Like when you turn on The Flintstones and it's one of the ones where Barney's got the wrong voice. Throws me all off. Like when you're at a big family dinner and you reach for your milk glass and accidentally grab your tomato juice glass and don't notice.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

I don't think I've ever had milk and tomato juice at a family dinner before. Weirdo Canadians.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

I did it once at my grandmother's when I was about ten, and I've still not forgotten the utter horror of the experience.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Imagine if EIM was told he couldn't have his bags of Haribo or Vimto chew bars.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Bad time of the year to be cutting down on sugary foods, what with Christmas coming up, FF. I'm on a healthy eating kick at the moment but I succumbed to a an early mince pie today at work. Good luck with it, anyway.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Thanks, Jon, I'll need lots of luck.

CTT's nailed it. I really think quitting smoking was easier.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Last Friday I decided to eschew our usual end-of-the-week trip to the chippie, and instead whipped up a mixed bean bake with a cheese and potato topping and loads of veg inside. Then for afters, I had California prunes whilst m'lovely wife and kids had tinned peaches. It was a hearty repaste and all was well and good until about ten o'clock that evening, when I got the most colossal, stomach-wringing craving for a proper afters - cake, chocolate, ice-cream, anything with sugar in. Because Saturday is our Big Shop day the cupboards were practically empty, and I ended up wolfing an entire Heinz chocolate sponge pudding.

Under the circumstances, I swear I have never eaten anything so luscious in my entire life.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Canadians do indeed drink milk with meals. Canadian grown-ups, I mean. I've seen it with my own eyes. Milk. I'm honestly not making this up.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

We let you into our homes and this....this is how you repay us?

One word, Earp: omerta.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

"Canadians do indeed drink milk with meals. Canadian grown-ups, I mean."

So do I. Not at restaurants. But at home or at my parents' house, all the time.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Yeah, but you're sort of from round there. Ish.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Milk's the only thing to drink in a pie'n'mash shop.

Comment

Sugar Addicts Anonymous

there's an excellent book called "Sugar Blues" that you should read FF..written in the 70s but it's still in print..quite an eye opener and will help motivate you to cut down on sugar

Comment

Working...
                                                  X