london restaurant advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

london restaurant advice

any recommendations for a nice place to take mrs garcia this weekend? sorry, i'm sure we've done this a billion times...

london restaurant advice

Pricey but very good food and excellent value for money is Morgan M on Liverpool Road.

Comment

london restaurant advice

Budget? Cuisine? Formal? Bustling or relaxed?

Comment

london restaurant advice

I always say this but Andrew Edmunds is cosy and romantic, and Skylon is the place for if you are doing something on the South Bank because of the fab views.

Oh and everyone I know loves Latium, too.

I would tell you about the best Indian resturant but it's in southeast London.

Comment

london restaurant advice

I'm lunching here on Saturday.

Comment

london restaurant advice

It's the best place on earth, Toro. £4.80 for a pizza the size of a bike wheel, stacked with amazing smoked buffalo mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan, all organic and tasty (although I guess you'll probably want to eat whatever cured pig carcass they're pimping). And free espresso if you're me, cause I was such a regular visitor when it first opened.

What's the Indian restaurant in SE London, Lyra? I'm south west, but only by a whisker and I've got friends up that way who'd be interested too (unless it's really expensive).

Comment

london restaurant advice

cheers for those - GY, i am looking for somewhere pretty fancy. budget will be the rest of december and indeed 2009.

Comment

london restaurant advice

Babur?

Franco Manca is superb but I'm not going back until the weather takes a turn for the less freezing.

How about Arbutus, garcia? Fancy but not outrageously pricey. For London.

Comment

london restaurant advice

Lucia - yeah, I've been before, with the same person. It's properly fantastic.

Comment

london restaurant advice

You looking to propose Gacia?

Comment

london restaurant advice

Lyra wrote:
                      This one?
                      http://www.ganapatirestaurant.com/
                      If not what's yours?

Comment

london restaurant advice

Well, I'd go for Hakkasan myself, then, but it is pricey. And your missus may or may not like Chinese food.

Comment

london restaurant advice

Arbutus is nice - and the food is really good, especially the bouillabaisse. The only thing I'd say is that it was very busy and bustling when I went, with tables packed quite closely together - maybe not ideal for a romantic dinner. That said, I would recommend it because the food is great.

However, if you can get in, and have the budget for it, the best meal I've had in London by far was at the Boxwood Cafe. Every course was delicious, the pre-dinner gin and tonics were perfect, and the atmosphere was great - very relaxed and unstuffy yet you still felt you were dining out in style. Great service too. I'd go back there tomorrow if I could.

Comment

london restaurant advice

It's quite unassuming but this is my favourite SE London curry place:
                            http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/226/simply-indian

Comment

london restaurant advice

thanks very much to all for suggestions, you guys are awesome.

You looking to propose Gacia?
                              no.

Comment

london restaurant advice

boooooo

Comment

london restaurant advice

King On The Rye wrote:
                                  Babur
                                  Fantastic place. Go there.

Comment

london restaurant advice

I'll bet he wouldn't blab about it, even if he were to.

Comment

london restaurant advice

Yeah, I mean, what if she said no?

Comment

london restaurant advice

Le Vacherin and La Trompette in Chiswick are pretty damn good but pricey. The Duke of Sussex(next to Le Vacherin) is a gastropub that does superb food with a bit more personality and atmosphere. I agree that Arbutus is very nice, so's Fino.

Comment

london restaurant advice

If you're looking at £40- £60 - ish a head including booze,
                                          The Swan at the Globe does nice food in a nice atmosphere. Can be quiet early on though as the theatre is out of season. Nice bar there too. Subdued lighting etc.
                                          http://www.swanattheglobe.co.uk/
                                          The Oxo Tower Brasserie is a cracking place for lunch. Busy and vibrant but the food is smashing.
                                          http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2252.htm
                                          Joe Allens is a place with decent (although limited) menu and a really good atmosphere, usually workes out about £40/head has a really theatre-y feel and often a pianist tinkling away. Not as legendary as they imagine, but I've had 2 nice nights in there.
                                          http://www.joeallen.co.uk/

Comment

london restaurant advice

£120 for a plate of food for two people?
                                            Why would Gacia be doing that when he has been tappin that azz for years?
                                            You have to be careful of the posh surrounding you feed your girl cos she will be expecting that all the time.

And 5 years time when your idea of a romantic meal is the Toby Carvery, she will be whinging and moaning like Arsene Wenger at 4:45 on a saturday afternoon.

Take her to Nando's and be done with it.

Comment

london restaurant advice

You old romantic, you.

Comment

london restaurant advice

So when did you take your girl to a £60 a head restaurant?

Comment

london restaurant advice

We went to The Swann about a month ago.
                                                  And we're (probably) off to the Oxo for lunch on Saturday as it's P's 30th birthday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X