Without Googling...

Bless you.

Comment

Without Googling...

Men are from mars,Pam Ayres is from my anus

Comment

Without Googling...

Sorry, I forgot I started this thread.

Yes, Barnes has it, Oxfordshire (although it was Berkshire when she was born)

Having heard her recently and lived in Bath for the last 5 years, I assumed she was from the backwoods around here. Chew Magna or Peasedown St John. If anything, I thought they would be too easterly if anything, not too west

Comment

Without Googling...

I always assumed Pam Ayres was a Moonraker (from rural Wiltshire), and probably Mick Channon's twin sister.

Anyway, the ubiquitous googlepedia. How do pub quizzes manage now that every kid and their granny can look up the answers instantly via their phone?

Comment

Without Googling...

But if we're saying Pam Ayres was the high watermark of crap celebrities in the 1970s and 80s, give me Pam Ayres any day.

I mean who would you rather have to sit and listen to--her or Peaches Geldof?

Comment

Without Googling...

When my sister was born, in 1977, I was given a cuddly dog that also doubled as a pyjama case. I named him Shambles, after the dog on Pam Ayres TV show. I've always been contrary but was she that popular back then that a 5 year old boy could be so influenced?

Comment

Without Googling...

A toy cuddly dog, yes?

Comment

Without Googling...

Can't believe the stick Pam Ayres is getting on here. As popular culture goes today Pam Ayres is an intellectual heavyweight. There are people on my TV just now who I have literally never heard off, living in a fuckin freak show in the jungle, this is the top rating programme in the country just now.
                    Pam Ayres for poet laureate, better than bloody Motion and his writers block.

Comment

Without Googling...

"Pam Ayres - not as shit as some of the new shit we get on telly now".

It's a winner.

Comment

Without Googling...

Szaguldo Ornagy wrote:
                        I always assumed Pam Ayres was a Moonraker (from rural Wiltshire), and probably Mick Channon's twin sister.
                        Genius!

I always did wonder if the accent was affected somewhat, when I was young. I assumed she was meant to be a caricature of a laid-back Somerset/Devon denizen.

No-one could affect the Bristol accent (with its superflous final 'L's) even if they wanted to. Not that most people would want to, of course! I seem to remember that half the Bristolians who do that don't even realise they're doing it.

Comment

Without Googling...

Can't believe the stick Pam Ayres is getting on here. As popular culture goes today Pam Ayres is an intellectual heavyweight. There are people on my TV just now who I have literally never heard off, living in a fuckin freak show in the jungle, this is the top rating programme in the country just now.
                          Pam Ayres for poet laureate, better than bloody Motion and his writers block.

Even those with a crowd-pleasing talent that Pam Ayres had back in her truly popular heyday, can be just as irritating and irksome as a bunch of Billy No-Mates and has-beens fucking it up in a jungle setting.

Comment

Without Googling...

You may mock! Pam Ayers is the embodiment of English womanhood for my generation, her only true rivals at that time being the Queen and Margaret Thatcher. A woman that can rhyme 'brinkt' with 'extinct', you people just don't appreciate the genius that lives amongst you.
                            And as for her accent, don't all woman in the south of England sound like her? This is crushing news...

Comment

Without Googling...

No-one could affect the Bristol accent (with its superflous final 'L's) even if they wanted to
                              I never had her down as Bristol. The Bristol accent is as dissimilar to it surrounding area as Cardiff is to the rest of South Wales, due to it being a dock town (although the Estuary English effect is happening with both)

Similarley that is why I had her down as rural Somerset like Frome or somewhere as you can tell those accents in Bath a mile away out of their natural habitat

Comment

Working...
                              X