Finnish help wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finnish help wanted...

Calling all OTF Finnish speakers. How d'you say Junior Avantouinti Club in Finnish?

I stuck it into google translate and it came out as Nuorempi Avantointi Klubi. Is that right?

All help gratefully received...

Finnish help wanted...

I can't help.

But I can tell a useless story. I have a friend who is one of those people who turns everything into a drinking game, and constantly wants people to drink, usually by tricking them in to it.

One of his ploys is to try to trick people into saying "finish" while holding their drink, at which point he will scream "FINISH!" in such joy and confidence that you have no choice but to sigh and, indeed, finish your drink.

He once asked me what language they speak in Finland as I returned from the bar with my new pint. "Suomi," I said.

He doesn't play drinking games with me any more.

Comment

Finnish help wanted...

You really need Muuk or Ball Comrade, but:

It's got to be Avantouini in its unaltered form, as that is Finnish to start with.

And Finnish youth ice hockey teams are generally referered to as "Juniorit".

Klubi sounds right, but I don't think that Finnish clubs tend to use it because their corporate/legal form is different.

I'm not sure I really want to know why you're asking, though. Ice swimming doesn't strike me as a Burgundian pastime.

Comment

Finnish help wanted...

'nuorempi' is 'younger', the appropriate form here would probably be 'nuorten'. Although I can't think of any clubs where that is part of the name. Juniorit means 'juniors', so you'd probably have to change it to nuorten avantouimarit, or young ice swimmers. That's the form used by Tampereen Talviuimarit, although they carelessly burned their sauna down a couple of weeks ago, so their example might not be the best to follow. Their proletarian, year-round cousins use the partitive form in order to accommodate their political sympathies: Tampereen Työväen Uimareiden (working class swimmers of Tampere).

As to the 'club' bit, please don't use Klubi. The word is inextricably linked to HJK, and there are alternatives, like 'kerho', or 'seura', which both mean club. You don't need them if you use the 'uimarit' or uimareiden' (swimmers) form, though.

So: Nuorten Avantouinti Kerho, or Nuorten Anantouimarit, or Avantouinti juniorit, or something much more political, if you like. Naming Finnish clubs is never as simple as just describing the activity and organisation.

Comment

Finnish help wanted...

Thanks, BC (and ursus). Nuorten Avantouinti Kerho it is. I quite like the snowflakes on that Tampere club's badge; I might allow myself to be influenced by it. (I'm making a teeshirt for a friend's baby. If she burns her cot down, I'll blame you.)

Comment

Finnish help wanted...

Ball Comrade wrote:
            Their proletarian, year-round cousins use the partitive form in order to accommodate their political sympathies: Tampereen Työväen Uimareiden (working class swimmers of Tampere).
            Tsk, tsk, that's the genitive, not the partitive...

What BC said about Klubi. I've never worked that one out: two perfectly good words in Finnish, so they import a third one. Don't forget that once you've decided on the wording (nuorten/junioreiden/lasten avantouinti seura/kerho among others all work fine) then you need to create from it the near obligatory acronym.

Comment

Finnish help wanted...

I'd forgotten about the acronym (and my cases, apparently). NavKe?

Comment

Working...
              X