PSP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSP questions

I'm thinking about getting one. It seems like the prices aren't too bad, and with FIFA 09, it seems like something I'd get my money's worth out of anyway.

I sit for an hour or more on a commuter train, and although I read, listen to music, grade assignments, & watch movies, it would be nice to have one more thing.

Plus, FIFA 09 seems really cool.

So:

1) PSP 2000 or 3000 - any difference?
    2) Can you transfer mp3s from your computer to it?
    3) What format of movies can it play (or more specifcally - is there a method of ripping from DVD to play on a PSP?)
    4) What other games should I bother with? (If any)
    5) What else do I need to know?
    6) Is it worth it?

This is what I'd probably get:
    Here

PSP questions

1) PSP 2000 or 3000 - any difference?

As far as I know the main difference is in the screen. The 3000 uses a completely new kind of screen (for the PSP that is) which reduces glare and ghosting, although there are apparently weird interlacing effects. It would be worth checking out in-store before you buy, but it's not supposed to be all that noticeable.

2) Can you transfer mp3s from your computer to it?

Yes. And AAC and WAV and WMA.

3) What format of movies can it play (or more specifcally - is there a method of ripping from DVD to play on a PSP?)

MP4 (including h.264/AVC) . Yes, but you'll need various bits of software - specifically a CSS decrypter and a video converter. I use this.

4) What other games should I bother with? (If any)
    Well, that depends on your taste in games, but I'd strongly recommend Patapon, God of War, the GTA games and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core.

5) What else do I need to know?

Um, that the battery life isn't very good and that you should use a screen protector.

6) Is it worth it?

Depends, doesn't it? Are you likely to use it often to play games and watch movies? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

Comment

PSP questions

Now my turn.

XBOX360 or PS3?

Comment

PSP questions

Okay. Count me in. I was going to post this next week anyway: if we as complete non-gamers with kids (3 and 6) were looking to get something, would it be PS3, Xbox or Wii? Mrs WOM is leaning Wii for the fit stuff.

Cheers.

Comment

PSP questions

The Wii is definitely the console for non-gaming families, although I wouldn't put too much stock in Wii Fit - it's notorious for getting about a month of use before being stuck in a cupboard forever. I'd get it quick if you want it for Christmas - Wii's seem to be perpetually out of stock as it is, and there'll be a huge Xmas rush.

EIM: check out my comments here or here

Comment

PSP questions

Xbox it is then. I'm most interested in GTA, COD and Pro Evo. Anything else is an afterthought.

Comment

PSP questions

Thanks GY.

Follow ups:
              By screen protector - do you mean a case? or something that covers the screen while you play?
              Battery life - how bad? Long enough to last for 4 hours a playtime a day before charging? less?
              Does that software in the link do both (decrypt and convert) or do I need two different things?

I think I'd use it quite a bit during the commute. If I got addicted to FIFA, I expect I'd use it a lot other places too.

Most of the games I like are sports, strategy, or rpg. That is almost all I've ever played. I might be interested in a good psp rpg game if there was one.

Comment

PSP questions

Screen protector - a piece of clear sticky plastic to stop it getting scratched

Battery life - 4 to 6 hours for games, a bit less for video. You can get a bigger battery, but it juts out from the case and makes it a lot heavier.

Software - no, you need a separate decrypter. I use DVD Decrypter.

"Most of the games I like are sports, strategy, or rpg. "

There's a ton of sports games on PSP - MLB 08 is very good; I've not tried Madden. Strategy is not such a strong point. There's a rip-off of Advance Wars called Field Commander, but it doesn't have the charm of AW. There's Final Fantasy Tactics, of course. There are quite a few JRPGs as well - Crisis Core is a good place to start. A few of the old Final Fantasy games have been remade as well, and you probably should check out Valkyrie Profile.

Comment

PSP questions

Has anyone else got PES 2009 for the PSP and noticed a glitch where you sub a player off and see his replacement come on but a little later the original player is back in the side (both on the pitch and in the formation list) and your substitution is still used up?

It's driving me mad.

Comment

PSP questions

I was going to post this next week anyway: if we as complete non-gamers with kids (3 and 6) were looking to get something, would it be PS3, Xbox or Wii? Mrs WOM is leaning Wii for the fit stuff.
                    For kids that age, definitely a Wii. That whole social interaction / family / party-game side of things, plus the ability to create yourself in Mii form, is great. They plug it in the ads, but it really is fun. (Even without the kids.)

Comment

PSP questions

Just one thing to watch - the guys at work who have one are noticing less and less PSP games and smaller PSP game sections in all the shops.

The new Tomb Raider is not coming out for it as well.

Comment

PSP questions

I read the thread title and mistakenly translated it to PCP.

Comment

PSP questions

Yeah, the DS certainly dominates in terms of software sales (although the hardware is apparently selling surprisingly well - it's shifting several hundred thousand units globally each month, more than the PS3 in fact. It actually looks much more healthy than it did a couple of years ago, when the DS was wiping the floor with it and all the games were cut-down PS2 ports. Since then there have been several really good original games and it's had a sales renaissance in Japan thanks to Monster Hunter 3. Unless you really want to play 3D games or sports games (DS sports games are almost universally rubbish) on the move, it's something you should only buy if you're going to use the multimedia aspects as well.

Comment

PSP questions

As a good and loyal American consumer, I bought myself a PSP 3000 (the same as the link in the first post) on Black Friday.

FIFA 09 is ace, and the "pro" mode is just awesome. I'm going to get my money's worth out of that without doubt.

I'm also in the process of setting myself up to be able to copy movies, so thanks for all the advice GY.

Comment

PSP questions

I bought myself a DS a couple of years ago. I played with it for a while, but it soon began collecting dust. So I gave it to a little girl whose parents couldn't afford to buy her one. I think that was the best part about buying it.

I'm trying to download a couple of games for my N800 from maemo.org, but I don't know how to install them.

Comment

Working...
                              X