real economy slump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

real economy slump

13 people laid off in my place since yesterday afternoon, out of a total of maybe 75. i have a meeting with management scheduled next week to discuss my contract - ha ha ha!!!

real economy slump

Yikes.

Are all of your advertisers banks and builders?

Comment

real economy slump

That's shit news, garcia. Sorry to hear.

Everyone's getting a bit nervous here, too, as the country's major TV network - CTV - just laid off staff due to decreasing ad revenue, both real and anticipated. That could start working its way back up the chain.

Comment

real economy slump

Think positive - bigger slice of the cake left for you

Comment

real economy slump

i guess the banks would be big advertisers, yes.

not that the banks aren't still squandering money on bullshit. i went to the ireland-NZ game on saturday as the guest of HBOS on a ticket that cost 700 euros. there were 10 people at our table for the pre-match carvery style dinner in one of north dublin's most depressing hotel function rooms. to my knowledge none of them had any connection to HBOS; all were liggers like me and my mate.

a guy called mick quinn did an after-dinner speech which was a textbook example of the genre. (sheep-shagging kiwis, sheep-shagging welshmen, confusion over how tiger woods had been elected US president, and: "you'd think the brits woulda sent the queen over to croker. or if not her at least helen mirren. now, i know what you're thinking. you'd give helen mirren one. but you'd have to get through my arse first!")

i didn't bother going back there after the game for the free booze. the most disappointing aspect was that the ticket didn't grant any priority bar access at the stadium.

Comment

real economy slump

Shit, best of luck.

Comment

real economy slump

i went to the ireland-NZ game on saturday as the guest of HBOS on a ticket that cost 700 euros
              It's not as thought the match was all that good either.

Still, chin up, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Comment

real economy slump

The Independent this week have announced that they will be slashing their already skeletal staffing levels by about a quarter. How the fuck they'll manage to get a paper out while doing so will be interesting and not at all amusing. Is SR affected?

Worrying, maddening times.

Comment

real economy slump

Eep! Hope it works out garcia.

All our xmas nights out/lunches etc. were cancelled yesterday. I'll bet a certain Mr Hornby isn't going to have a bad christmas tho'. Grr...

Comment

real economy slump

Best of luck, garcia.

Comment

real economy slump

mike toreno wrote:
                      Eep! Hope it works out garcia.

All our xmas nights out/lunches etc. were cancelled yesterday. I'll bet a certain Mr Hornby isn't going to have a bad christmas tho'. Grr...
                      I was having a quick think about this, and I suppose it could easily be argued as Hornby's responsibility. While he wasn't CEO through the whole development of the problem (increasing the mortgage book, funded in wholesale) - that was under James Crosby - he was the head of the Retail division at that time.

That considered, I am sure that running a bank as it goes through a collapse pisses on your chips quite a bit, irrespective of the money you have.

I am still surprised with the fact HBOS was taken under. There is certainly something odd that has happened that I can't quite get worked out yet.

Comment

real economy slump

E10 Rifle wrote:
                        The Independent this week have announced that they will be slashing their already skeletal staffing levels by about a quarter. How the fuck they'll manage to get a paper out while doing so will be interesting and not at all amusing. Is SR affected?
                        Spoke to an old friend who is an editor at one of the larger dailies in Canada about this. His understanding was that it was common practice in the UK to have five different editors read a piece before it goes to print, whereas at most North American papers, he said you'd be lucky to have three people look at it.

As a result, he thought there was probably a lot of room to cut on the editorial side before getting a paper out became completely impossible (not that he was endorsing the idea - just saying it's possible)

Possibly his understanding of how UK papers work is wrong - what do you reckon, E10?

Any news, garcia? Hope your meeting with the bosses went OK...

Comment

real economy slump

If the current state of the print New York Times is any indication, they have dispensed with at least two of those three editors.

It is of course possible to "get a paper out" without any editors at all, whether anyone would want to buy or advertise in such a population is a different question.

Comment

real economy slump

As noted elsewhere, the improvement it would make to the Wall Street Journal would have to be measured on a logarithmic scale.

Comment

real economy slump

Spoke to an old friend who is an editor at one of the larger dailies in Canada about this. His understanding was that it was common practice in the UK to have five different editors read a piece before it goes to print, whereas at most North American papers, he said you'd be lucky to have three people look at it.
                              From what one of my mates who is a staffer at the Indy says, its the reporters who are going to bear the brunt of this, not editors/subs. And there are already precious few reporters. He's not optimistic about his job.

Comment

real economy slump

cheers for your concern guys - i should mention this meeting was originally scheduled to discuss improving my contract, not terminating it. unfortunately in the current climate, non-termination is the best i can hope for. all programmes have now lost staff, we got a bit lucky because one of us was leaving for a new job anyway, so he just won't be replaced - but i'm sure more layoffs are imminent.

Comment

real economy slump

We're going through our own process of "reorganizing." It's not a lot of fun to be going through this in a company that has to lay people off almost exclusively because of outside forces. In July, our revenue projections were above target. Now, not so much.

Good luck to everyone over the next month. I suspect more than one of us will be in some less than happy holiday meetings...

Comment

real economy slump

Good luck garcia.
                                    Hope it wokrks out. This is happening incredibly fast. They have turned off the money tap.

Comment

real economy slump

Good luck, Garcia.

From a detached point of view, this is going to be an interesting time in newspapers. It's the first post-internet recession.

Someone better informed than me can develop the implications of that.

Comment

real economy slump

"Interesting" is one way of putting it Tubbs. I'm really worried meself.

Antonio:
                                        His understanding was that it was common practice in the UK to have five different editors read a piece before it goes to print
                                        Does he mean actual section/overall "editors"? Or subs? Typically, two or three subs would get a look at the same piece, then it would be proof-read, but "five editors" is nonsense. On local papers/websites it's generally much fewer. And an increasing amount of stuff goes up unsubbed.

Comment

real economy slump

Here's this week's snapshot of how interesting the recession might be in the media.

There's this:
                                          http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/27/telegraph-media-job-cuts

Or this:
                                          http://www.nuj.org.uk/innerPagenuj.html?docid=1000

Or this:
                                          http://www.nuj.org.uk/innerPagenuj.html?docid=1001

Merry Christmas

Comment

real economy slump

Sorry to hear that, E10. All the best.

Comment

real economy slump

i spoke to one of those telegraph journalists today. he painted a pretty grim picture. advertising has totally collapsed in the space of a quarter and the broadsheets in particular are completely fucked.

another bunch of people lost their jobs in my place today, even though at the end of last week they said further cutbacks would not be made before march. a lot of people talking about canada - it's the new californey.

Comment

real economy slump

If by "the new California" you mean we're slightly less fucked than everybody else, then yes. Otherwise, no.

No clear-outs at any of the big papers yet, but I suspect it's just a matter of time. Certainly, I hear via my GLW (who spends a lot more time in corporate boardrooms than I do) that advertising budgets are being slashed at a lot of the big companies - that'll hit the media companies by next quarter.

Comment

real economy slump

i thought you guys were the fucking narco petro superpower. you can't smother our last hope.

if it all goes tits up here i thought there must be something in canada, some kind of living to be eked out of its vast empty plains and endless forests. thankfully i exceed the required 67 points on their get-into-the-country test.

do you have to pay for insulin in canada?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X