Help do my maths problem for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs Mouse is in the process of trying to work out a new rota for her staff. Now, I'm fairly sure that this ought to be a fairly simple maths problem but I can't for the life of me (and mainly due to being crap at maths) work out what the formula ought to be for it.

So, here's my challenge to you..

5 members of staff.

Mon - Fri need to cover 4 shifts 2pm-10pm;10pm-8am;8am-2pm; and 10-6 (2 people to do last one)For clarity's sake, the 10pm-8am is a sleeping shift and doesn't count as a "proper" shift. Also, the person that does the 2-10 will invariably then do the 10-8 and 8-2 that follows.

Sat & Sun - as above but just 1 person doing the 10-6. Oh yeah, and each member of staff ought to do 37.5 hours per week.

Cheers

I don't think that makes sense.

Mon-Fri
    2pm-10pm 1 person 8 hours
    10pm-8am 1 person 10 hours
    8am-2pm 1 person 6 hours
    10?-6? 2 people 8 hours = 16 man hours.

Total per weekday 40 hours

Sat/Sun 32 hours per day.

(5*40)+(2*32)= 264

264/5 = 52.8 hours each?

Comment

The 10pm-8am doesn't count as work so the total per weekday is 30 hours. Total of 214 hours divided by 5 people is 42.8 hours which is obviously problematic.

Don't forget to figure in holidays and sick leave cover. To do that, you are better working with annualised hours. Assuming 21 days holiday and 9 bank holidays you're down to 46.14 weeks at 37.5 hrs which is a total of 1730.25 hours. Her staff are probably going to get sick at some stage so you need some flexible hours for cover. If you take say 80 hours for that, then your staff can be rostered for a total of 1650 hours.

Don't underestimate coming up with a shift rota - it's really hard to do - particularly if you want your staff working the healthiest rota possible.

Comment

For clarity's sake, the 10pm-8am is a sleeping shift and doesn't count as a "proper" shift. Also, the person that does the 2-10 will invariably then do the 10-8 and 8-2 that follows.
        Didn't clarify it for me, I'm afraid; does that mean everyone does swing shifts?

Comment

So one person starts at 2pm, works til 10pm, then "sleeps" for 10 hours then does the 8am-2pm shift.

Comment

Ah. Me being dence, as I suspected.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
              Ah. Me being dence, as I suspected.
              "dence"

Comment

Mon - Fri need to cover 4 shifts 2pm-10pm;10pm-8am;8am-2pm; and 10-6 (2 people to do last one)For clarity's sake, the 10pm-8am is a sleeping shift and doesn't count as a "proper" shift. Also, the person that does the 2-10 will invariably then do the 10-8 and 8-2 that follows.

Sat & Sun - as above but just 1 person doing the 10-6. Oh yeah, and each member of staff ought to do 37.5 hours per week
                Am I right in guessing the overnight 'shift' is an on-call period rather than the employee continuously at work?

Otherwise, you need to staff 30 man hours per day on weekdays (14 to 22 = 8, 8 to 14 = 6, 10 to 18 for two people = 16), and 22 man hours on Saturday and Sunday. So 194 hours overall.

Against that, your five staff can work 37.5 hours per week. But deduct planned holiday time (say about five weeks per year), so in practice their availability will average out at only about 33 hours. 33 x 5 = only 165 man hours available.

You need another member of staff.

Comment

Working...
                X