Pirates of the Indian Ocean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible story, this, isn't it? £60m worth of crude oil nicked on the High Seas by a gang of blokes in a couple of speedboats. That's one quarter of Saudi Arabia's daily oil output, just ... taken. It makes the Great Train Robbers seem like a bunch of absolute amateurs.

We've invaded countries to protect oil interests, and fundamentally this is how vulnerable the distribution channels really are.

Truly amazing story, no matter how it ends up (and I hope of course the crew all get off safe and okay).

Am I alone in, or indeed wrong for, imagining them wearing eye-patches and waving cutlasses?

Comment

The posh guy from Chatham House talking about this on Newsnight is a good mate of meandtheotherones from college.

Mental story.

Comment

One of the stories from the summertime mentioned cruise ships using something like a 'sound cannon' to drive would-be pirates away. They were very sketchy about what it does/is for 'security reasons'.

But apparently it's very effective. I can only imagine the ringing in your ears after being blasted with a very effective 'sound cannon'.

Comment

meandtheotherones
          Your short-lived collaboration with bits of New Order?

Comment

One of the stories from the summertime mentioned cruise ships using something like a 'sound cannon' to drive would-be pirates away. They were very sketchy about what it does/is for 'security reasons'.
            It was Simply Red recordings, I think. No-one would want to board a ship with those blaring out.

Comment

'Holding Back The Ears'?

Comment

Working...
              X