Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YouTube for books and magazines and papers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's possible all of you already know about this, but I've just stumbled upon Scribd, which appears to be YouTube, but with iPaper instead of Flash. Very cool.

Uh, is there anything that's actually good on there? The top viewed documents seem to mostly be about sex (or at least their titles are), plus a document that's a list of all Dragonball-Z episodes.

Comment

Well, I found the site by Googling for something from the Zombie Survival Guide, which is up there in its (probably illegal) entirety. The science section is great, containing loads of papers and the latest Scientific American. You can also read many issues of the Economist.

Comment

The Economist? Well, that might be worth it.

Comment

There are also minutes from Everton's recent AGMs.

It's the proverbial mixed bag, it seems.

Comment

I saw all that Everton stuff there when I was browsing the soccer selection.

I'm sure this has the potential to be really great. It'll probably have a lot of illegal stuff up there at the beginning, then the copyright holders will probably catch on, and it's after that that it could either find itself, or just kind of wither away.

I can see this causing a major headache for teachers. Lecture notes, test questions, term papers...and I'm sure some students pissed off at textbook publishers that charge outrageous amounts might feel like scanning and putting stuff up there (this is already happening with torrents).

Comment

There's already enough sites offering test papers and essays that I doubt this will make any difference.

Comment

The ones that are online for free now are terrible (believe me, I've come across enough of them in grading). Very few of them are actual papers that have been turned in, also. I could see students uploading their graded papers, comments and all, on this site.

The format is also important, because I'm not sure that services like Turnitin.com, which requires students to upload their papers so the text is checked against what's online, would work with the format that this site uses to present text.

Comment

Working...
                X