• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh

Unaffectionate version of "gypsy".

Comment

Meh

Jesus, I knew Sarah Kennedy took everything in the Daily Mail as gospel, but I didn't realise she also took the Express seriously.

The fucking Daily fucking Express! It's the Star for people offended by bare breasts. Its only function is to neutralise parody of right wing tabloids, pre-emptively.

Comment

Meh

Etienne wrote:
        Unaffectionate version of "gypsy".
        Oh. I was thinking it was pronounced with a hard G noise, like "Win one for the Gipper".

Comment

Meh

Huh. I've gone my whole life thinking Gipper had a soft 'g'. That's how you identify an expat American, I guess.

Comment

Meh

First of all, it doesn't count until it's included in the Oxford version. Because I'm a snob.

And secondly, never mind 'meh' and 'huggles' and all this bullshit... when does 'footballistically' get an entry? How many times do I (and Arsene Wenger, once) have to use it before the rest of the English-speaking world cottons on?

That really is a word that would enrich the English language. And yet they shun it. For shame.

Comment

Meh

wingco wrote:
              I suppose what I hate about both "meh" (and "whatever", for that matter) is that it's all too likely to be used by people who want to appear vaguely down with the kids, who want to appear cool and socially victorious by affecting superiority and disdain. Also, it's one of those easily available words for people who are either too lazy, apathetic or simply unable to come up with original verbal formulations of their own. It's a conversation closer.
              What-ev-er

Comment

Meh

when does 'footballistically' get an entry?

Never, because it's total cock. Saying it sounds like you're trying to balance a wardrobe on your tongue.

'Meh' is terrific. I'll also put in a word of appreciation for the phrase 'well, duh!'. Skirting the line between emphatic put-down and irritating pomposity, it's a winner.

Comment

Meh

Auden, innit?

Comment

Meh

Ian... I apologise, but your second paragraph only goes to demonstrate that we can't take what you've written in your first paragraph at all seriously.

Comment

Meh

Perfectly fine, Sam. It's a common occurence with all the paragraphs I write these days. The ones not meant to be amusing, sadly.

Comment

Working...
                      X