Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh

Good grief

Mind you, I didn't realise its Simpsons connection so I feel a bit better about it now

Meh

... huggles, a hybrid of hugs and snuggles.
    Bleeeeeeuuurrrchh.

Comment

Meh

"Good grief"

What? "Meh"'s a great word, and more to the point, dictionaries shouldn't be prescriptive (if you ask me, they're far too slow to incorporate new words as it is).

Comment

Meh

"Meh" is indeed a great word, however someone needs to tell Sarah Kennedy that it's not pronounced "may". I doubt she heard me shouting at her from my bathroom this morning.

Comment

Meh

I'm saddened that they haven't yet included 'festivus'. I hope it doesn't fall into obscurity before it gets the chance to take part in the annual Collins publications publicity drive.

Comment

Meh

Welcome back, Pinback.

It's been a while.

Comment

Meh

Yeah I don't mind this word. Especially looking at what could have been chosen. I've used it myself. Regardless of it's inclusion in Collins, I don't think I'd use it in OFT. Can we? I think for a definitive verdict on if "meh" is allowed here we should ask Carcass.

Comment

Meh

I didn't realise it was from The Simpsons. I think I started using it after watching Weebl & Bob.

Comment

Meh

I hate "meh". It is the sulky cousin of "whatever".

Comment

Meh

There's nothing inherently sulky about it, and it doesn't have the petulance of "whatever". It's a great word for expressing indifference to something, and it embodies its own dismissiveness in its brevity.

Comment

Meh

Nail on head, wingco.

I hate both. If you really aren't bothered about something, don't bother addressing it. If you use either because you think little of someone's argument then explain why.

You may as well write an empty post such is the pointless nature of both.

At least, you can imagine someone using the phrase "Pfft!" sincerely

Comment

Meh

I hate both. If you really aren't bothered about something, don't bother addressing it.
                        What if someone asks you your opinion of something, and your opinion is that you're indifferent to it?

Comment

Meh

While that is a good argument against a post/response simply consisting of "meh", that doesn't mean the word itself is flawed, BOD.

I think it's rather euphonic.

Comment

Meh

I suppose what I hate about both "meh" (and "whatever", for that matter) is that it's all too likely to be used by people who want to appear vaguely down with the kids, who want to appear cool and socially victorious by affecting superiority and disdain. Also, it's one of those easily available words for people who are either too lazy, apathetic or simply unable to come up with original verbal formulations of their own. It's a conversation closer.

Comment

Meh

Frenemy and Huggles are diabolical though.

Comment

Meh

Having said that, I do agree that as an original expression it is both euphonic and as economic as GY points out. It's just the way these words then go on to get bandied about for ever.

Comment

Meh

For unexamined reasons, I think it's hard to use 'meh' without sounding like basically an ass.

Do you hear that? I've called all of you who like it, asses.

Comment

Meh

wingco, surely in those instances you'd be glad to have it as a conversation closer as you wouldn't have to talk to the tedious bastards any longer.

Comment

Meh

Also, it's one of those easily available words for people who are either too lazy, apathetic or simply unable to come up with original verbal formulations of their own.
                                      Like all the other words in the dictionary?

It's a conversation closer.
                                      This argument I have more sympathy for, but, you know, I'd tend to blame whoever made the thing to which the speaker is indifferent for not making it more remarkable.

Comment

Meh

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
                                        For unexamined reasons, I think it's hard to use 'meh' without sounding like basically an ass.

Do you hear that? I've called all of you who like it, asses.
                                        I didn't say I liked it, merely that I didn't mind it. Does this make me half-arsed?

Comment

Meh

Here's a long(ish)-standing group of people devoted to the word, and practised in its nuanced usage.

Comment

Meh

I've definitely used "meh" before it appeared on the Simpsons. I remember annoying my parents with it when I was still in high school.

Comment

Meh

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                              "Meh" is indeed a great word, however someone needs to tell Sarah Kennedy that it's not pronounced "may". I doubt she heard me shouting at her from my bathroom this morning.
                                              She cocked that up?

I turned it off / over when she was doing the paper reviews, and quoted from the Express story words to the effect that people in Waltham Forest were upset at facing compulsory purchase orders on their land if they "refused to sell up to the Gippoes."

Edit.

Sorry.

It's Epping Forest.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/71491

Comment

Meh

Guy Potger wrote:
                                                She cocked that up?
                                                She cocked that up.

Comment

Meh

What's a Gippo?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X