• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children's book binge

"You lot".

Great stuff so far, keep 'em coming.

Comment

Children's book binge

The only small concern is that they'll pick up a lot of British English and will confuse their teachers and peers when they use words like wonky, hose-pipe and ice lolly.

Don't think it'll harm them at all. And it's nothing compared to the amount of Americanisms our kids get from High School Musical/Hannah Montana etc etc etc.

The Biff and Chip series are part of the Oxford Reading Tree series mentioned upthread.

Posting my Horrid Henry desktop wallpaper on the desktop thread reminded me of the Horrid Henry books, all about a kid who's very naughty at school. Would probably appeal to boys more than girls, he's kind of a modern-day of a (British version) Dennis the Menace.

The woman who writes them is an American who lives in Britain, I think. But they seem quite British in tone.

Comment

Children's book binge

Just bumping this up to say thanks for all the recommendations. The books arrived yesterday and they've gone down better than I could have dreamed.

In the end I opted for some Charlie and Lolas, some Biff and Chips and some Frog and Toads.

We already had some Charlie and Lolas, so we knew what we were getting there. For someone who has never seemed all that interested in reading, I was amazed what Katharina did with the Biff and Chip books. First we went through the whole lot together, then she read them again on her own, and now she's just read a whole book out loud to her mum without any help. I suppose it's because they're just the right level for kids who are only just starting to read but still: I'm astounded.

My favourites, though, are the Frog and Toad stories. PG was right, they're absolutely brilliant. Lovely, warm, funny stories. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them before.

Comment

Working...
        X