Children's book binge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children's book binge

I suppose I ought to put this in books, but I'm not sure anyone ever goes in there. (I'll move the thread over there if its presence here is deeemed offensive.)

Anyway, young Miss B has just turned five and will be starting school next year. If she gets a place at the shool we want her to get into, which is a bilingual state school, she'll be learning to read in English. With phonics and all that.

Her English is very good (she talks like a kind of Chathamese Yoda), but her German is stronger, so we have make an effort to keep up the English side of things. This means I've got to part with some of my hard-earned to Amazon or similar.

What I'm after, basically, is classic stories for kids of that age, non-fiction stuff, and above all, books for teaching kids how to read. She's at the stage where she knows more or less all the letters, but is still having trouble putting them together.

I posted a thread like this a year or so ago, and the suggestions I got turned out to be absolutely spectactular successes. This is one of the many things that OTF is great for. All ideas are most gratefully received.

Children's book binge

Well I can't speak for the educational abilities of the books, but the "Charlie and Lola" range certainly got my 4-year old (at the time) into reading, and my 3-year-old (at the time) loved them, too. They're 7 and 5, now, and are well ahead in all their reading assessments.

"The Tiger Who Came to Tea" was also exceptional in this respect.

Comment

Children's book binge

We've got a couple of Charlie and Lola books (as well as a whole load of downloaded TV shows: they're absolutely brilliant), and the Tiger Who Came To Tea, but that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

The Tiger Who Came To Tea was quite good in a "that's what the world looked like when I was little" way (see also the Double Deckers and Mary, Mungo and Midge on YouTube).

Comment

Children's book binge

Once you get them into reading, Dorling Kindersley's encyclopedias are brilliant, too.

Kids love Dinosaurs, or History. Ancient Egypt. Mummies, Cowboys and Indians, the Romans, that kind of stuff. There are loads of those books on the market that are full of pictures, with non-threatening (ie long) words for kids, that actually make even Daddies and Mummies think "wow, I never knew that" while you're reading them and explaining the longer words.

Comment

Children's book binge

Not a series of books, but the Between the Lions website (and related materials) was a big favourite for ursus minor at this stage. The games are especially good (though it is American . . .).

If she has German books that she likes, you might try looking for English versions. The reverse worked well for UM, and there are English versions of things like the "Licht An" series (and perhaps even one Die Maus book).

Comment

Children's book binge

Personally, 'Janet and John' worked for me. If you can find them in more than one language, you will be setting your daughter up for a life of intelligence and intellect.

Having more than one natural language (please keep that up), is worth more than a big pair of ... brown eyes. And you know so, sir.

As long as she doesnt support Celtic, or Hertha, she will be fine. Although if she finds out what St pauli is all about... you are on your own.

Comment

Children's book binge

Can't beat The Cat In The Hat. Well, you could but it would be cruel. Anyway, this and all of Dr Zeuss's other efforts did it for my kids.

Comment

Children's book binge

good shot born: I forgot about all of those. When I was dealing with young'uns, if they didnt shut up, I would start reading from any Dr Seuss.

And buggeringbollockybastard, it worked everytime.

They certainly stopped trying to chew on my arms, and indeed, stopped setting fire to themselves. So, maybe Jim Carrey has a purpose? Ok, maybe he has a porpoise? Ok, rewind.

Comment

Children's book binge

I'm not sure I can recommend books for five year olds, but at the age of five I was reading at a much higher level. Apparently. Which is where this book came in:

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen

If her English is up to it, which from what you've said I suspect it will be, bear this in mind for a couple of years' time.

Comment

Children's book binge

gerontophile wrote:
                    As long as she doesnt support Celtic, or Hertha, she will be fine. Although if she finds out what St pauli is all about... you are on your own.
                    She won't end up supporting Celtic, but Hertha is a bit worrying. A mate of mine has got a lad at the school and they get subsidised tickets (the school's right next to the stadium) and they pay 15 euros for the pair of them to get into home games. I fear this kind of good value might prove too much.

I've been a Pauli fan since I first lived in Hamburg 20 years ago. This is giving me headaches.

Comment

Children's book binge

As far as actual 'learning to read' books, the most popular scheme in the UK is the Oxford Reading Tree. We don't use it in our school so I don't know it personally but I've heard plenty of good things about it. And you can get order them through Amazon in packs of 6.

The BBC has an adult literacy campaign called Raw and they have produced a comic called Tips for Storytelling, which provides tips for parents when reading stories to their kids.

Not that I'm saying you need help in that department, AB, I'm sure you don't. But it's drawn by the great Hunt Emerson and it's free! 2 great reasons to get a copy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/raw/getinvolved...ic/index.shtml

Comment

Children's book binge

I've recommended it before and I'll recommened it again, but I first read Winnie The Pooh some time before I began actually remembering things, and it's still on my bookshelf now and is one of about five books that will absolutely, definitely be making the trip to Buenos Aires with me when I move down there.

Comment

Children's book binge

I went straight to the experts and asked my 8-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter to list their favourite books.

My obviously traditional son, who's quite a voracious reader, went for:

The Famous Five series by Enid B. of course;
                          The Secret Seven series by same;
                          The Horrible History series;
                          Roald Dahl books;
                          CS Lewis books;
                          David Bedford books.

My daughter chose:

The Tiara Club series;
                          The Biff & Chip series;
                          The Rainbow Fairy Club series;
                          Pippi Longstocking.

I should also probably mention that they're also big fans of Dr. Seuss and the usual Disney film books.

Oh, and finally there is an absolutely fabulous pop-up book called "Beware of the Storybook Wolves" by Charlie and Lola author Lauren Child, who for my money is the best young children's author around at the moment.

Happy shopping!

Comment

Children's book binge

The Tiger Who Came To Tea was quite good in a "that's what the world looked like when I was little" way

Although interestingly (or not), the drawings appear to have been updated in some of Judith Kerr's books. Witness Mr Thomas' funky trainers in 'Mog and Bunny'.

Comment

Children's book binge

Some great books to read to five year olds

Gruffalo
                              Gruffalo's Child
                              Room on the Broom
                              The Night Pirates
                              How to Catch a Star
                              Each Peach Pear Plum (alhtough maybe a bit old)

For them to read:

Debi Gliori books which are meant for reading to three year olds, such as Cat's Colours, Over in the Meadow. her books go v quickly out of print. So just get the latest

The Oxford Reading tree is what mine get at school too. They are very good at introducing themes like the different ways the -ay sound can be made.

Comment

Children's book binge

Katie Morag books, set on the fictional Inner Hebridean Isle of Struay (in reality it's the Isle of Struay) go down well with my class of 6-7 year olds. And for a couple of years down the line, you should try Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley. Quite definitively the best children's book of the last 20 years. Well, it's my favourite, anyway.

Comment

Children's book binge

I am utterly astounded that Harry Potter isnt mentioned here... Ms Rowlings's writing grew up with the audience of children (and adults) alike, although perhaps the fact that its all bullshit magical nonsense doesnt help.

I grew up with 'Mallory Towers' ... I think that says it all really.

Comment

Children's book binge

I got my neice and nephew some Charlie and Lola books and one of the DVDs because soon they'll be, respectively, roughly the same ages as Charlie and Lola and my nephew is named Charlie.

The only small concern is that they'll pick up a lot of British English and will confuse their teachers and peers when they use words like wonky, hose-pipe and ice lolly.

Comment

Children's book binge

(May I take this one?)

If Charlie uses words like 'hose-pipe', then his problems will be more than speaking proper England...

Comment

Children's book binge

Back when Young Master Grundy was at about that age the GLW was in Florida for a conference and came back with some American kids' reading books called "Toad and Frog" or something and they were brilliant. Really, great - the exact thing for bright kids learning to read. I'd send them to you but they're going to be used by Little Miss Grundy and The Littlest Grundy, so we'll be needing them for another 4 years or so.

Here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Toad-Collection-Read-Book/dp/0060580860

Seriously, they are brilliant.

Comment

Children's book binge

And you really can't go wrong with Doctor Seuss. Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat are the definitive books for bright 6-year-olds.

Comment

Children's book binge

And finally, a definite nod of approval to Mr Whiffy for suggesting the Biff & Chip "Magic Key" series. They are to this generation of kids what Peter & Jane was to mine. Only more fun.

They are the standard "teach kids to read" books in English schools, published by OUP, I think, and as such aren't cheap but you will probably find them at reasonable prices on Ebay.

Comment

Children's book binge

Isn't "hose-pipe" what you all call the green rubber tube that comes out the side of the house and carries water to one's plants, lawn or children's pool?

Comment

Children's book binge

Not 'you all' Reed, no.

Comment

Children's book binge

Y'all? Yins? Yous guys? Ihr?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X