Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The photography thread will never begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Wiki:

"Count Basie, having grown tired of standing, sat down on the curb, and gradually a dozen children followed. Most of the children were neighborhood residents, although the second child from the right, Taft Jordan, Jr., had accompanied his father, Taft Jordan, to the photo session. The photography crew was already having trouble directing the adults, and the presence of the children added to the chaos: one of the children appearing in the window kept yelling at a sibling on the curb; another kept playing with Basie's hat; Taft Jordan, Jr. had been scuffling with the older child seated to his left. Ultimately, Art Kane realized that any further attempt to organize the proceedings would be futile, and he decided to incorporate the subjects' actions."

Comment

All the weather!

Comment

Who'd a thunk it? i made the exhibition. http://www.observecollective.com/Under-Construction-Competition

Comment

Here are a few pictures by a favourite photographer of mine. His name is Daido Moriyama, born in Osaka in 1938. Moriyama first started to pick up attention in the late 60s when he was involved with a short-lived experimental photography magazine called Provoke. These images are mainly from the early 70s.

Comment

The abandoned Soviet space shuttle and the facility in which it was being built.

Site on Google Maps

Comment

Very interesting exhibition on altered news photographs.

Including

Comment

I've just bought one of these.

Now I'm really going to have to build the darkroom I've been talking about for the past year.

Comment

"170,000 photographs from 1935 to 1945 created by the United States Farm Security Administration and Office of War Information"

http://photogrammar.yale.edu/

Mother Jones article with some selections:
                  http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/09/depression-world-war-ii-lange-photos

Some incredible stuff just randomly in the collection. Like this:

http://photogrammar.yale.edu/records/index.php?record=fsa1998003569/PP

or this:
                  http://photogrammar.yale.edu/records/index.php?record=fsa2000031107/PP

Comment

Really interesting.

Comment

What America’s immigrants looked like when they arrived on Ellis Island

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/24/what-americas-immigrants-looked-like-when-they-arrived-on-ellis-island/

Comment

Fidel Castro holding Justin Trudeau, new Canadian PM

Comment

The coolest picture of David Bowie I have ever seen.

Fitting a rear window to a Mini when he worked for BMC.

Comment

Extraordinary images of the Vietnam War from the NVA side here.

Comment

Photos by Nick Hedges of families living in slum housing around Britain in the 60's and 70's.

Heartbreaking. More details on the series, including captions for some of the photos, on the BBC website.

Comment

Most of these photos from Syria are very good, some are excellent.

Comment

And I'd give anything to take anything as good as these finalists in the Sony world photography award

Comment

Why yes I am on a photography kick today. I've just seen Fan Ho's work for the first time and it's amazing. When (or if at the moment) I get a job I'm buying the book of his work from the 50s and 60s

Oh, link

Comment

Photos of the German-American Bund

Comment

I've not been but as it's in its final week (last day Sunday 24th Feb) I thought people on here may be interested in Roman Vishniac Rediscovered.

It's a retrospective on at The Photographers Gallery and Jewish Museum.

From the description:

An extraordinarily versatile and innovative photographer, Vishniac is best known for having created one of the most widely recognised and reproduced photographic records of Jewish life in Eastern Europe between the two World Wars. Featuring many of his most iconic works, this comprehensive exhibition further introduces recently discovered and lesser-known chapters of his photographic career from the early 1920s to the late 1970s. The cross-venue exhibition presents radically diverse bodies of work and positions Vishniac as one of the most important social documentary photographers of the 20th century whose work also sits within a broader tradition of 1930s modernist photography.

A sample of his pictures can be seen here

Comment

What a thread.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PictureSporting/status/1521098338371788800?t=zVDf6d2Zew09ZmcXsaGLFg&s=19

This twitter account is a good follow, but I love this Cartier Bresson photo.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Very interesting exhibition on altered news photographs.

Including

The link is still active and, as MsD said, the contents are really interesting.

Those awful photographs from the end of the Bangladesh Liberation War, which weren't faked but were deemed to have been images of actions provoked by the presence of Western photographers, include one which has haunted me since I first saw it all those years ago, the final one of the terrified man looking up at the soldier.

Comment

Also, that Bowie picture isn't Bowie at all. Just a guy who looked like him from a certain angle.

Comment

My upcoming Autumn/Winter project is to make my own light sensitive emulsions. If it's not a total disaster I'll post some results on here.

Comment

Went to an exhibition at the Robert Capa photography museum in Budapest today of Hans van der Meer - who OTF will know as the Dutch photographer who did all the lower league football shots. He also came to Budapest in 86/87 in the last days of the regime and this exhibition covered his shots from then (there was also a brilliant football corner).
                                                    ​​​​​
                                                    He has such a brilliant eye for people
                                                    budapest-magyarorszag-1985-hans-van-der-meer.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                    X