Why USA has Obama and we have Berlusconi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be something to do with you blacking up to make your point fella.

No love for this? Oh COME ON already.

Comment

So I take it this is his paying what a well-meaning Italian would regard as a tribute to Obama?

Sad thing is, in Italy, apart from the occasional tourist, absolutely the only black faces you are likely to see are the guys selling handbags.

Comment

He was not the only one and that was a leftwing protest. It is possible that the gesture of blacking-up might have a different meaning in Italy, one of solidarity with black people (as it happend at a football game) rather than the very negative connotation it has in the anglosphere.

Comment

Is there no end to the list of things about Italy that we Just Don't Understand?

Comment

Maybe left-wing, anti-Berlusconi protesters are all racists and it's me who don't have a clue then...

Comment

Italians showing solidarity with black people, well that's one i aint heard before.

Comment

I can see this. After all, didn't Berlusconi praise Obama for his nice tan. Possibly with a view to establishing a Freemason's Lodge of tanned pols.

In any case, if I didn't know better, I'd say that the guy in the pic is just another soap-boycotting hippie.

Comment

To me, the more interesting question is just how it is possible that a sincere, well meaning protester in a major European capital (the photo is from Rome) could see blackface as an appropriate way of expressing solidarity with Obama (I agree completely with 1890 that that is what was going on here).

I'm genuinely puzzled by it, but think that the relative invisibility of black people in Italian daily life* and the relative isolation of Italian culture and media has a great deal to do with it.

* though I need to take wingco to one of our local Eritrean restaurants the next time he's here.

Comment

Oh it's obvious that he's trying to make a point of being pro Obama and anti-racist. I wasn't calling the guy racist or anything, I just found it quite funny just how clueless the well-meaning chap was. If there was a malicious nature to it the humour is gone.

What's especially amusing is because the guy has such a ropey beard he can't even black himself up properly, so his face ends up being brown on the top and pasty honky on the bottom.

Maybe he's trying to big up the mixed racedness of yer man Obama, but I not think I can give his botched paint job that much credit.

Comment

Much too much credit.
                      Maybe he lost a bet with one of his clean shaven mates.

Comment

Working...
                      X