OTF pardon pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF pardon pool

Well we only have to put up with Bush for another 77 days. However, according to the following article he appears to want to push through a few new laws and rules

However this thread is speculation about who Bush may pardon before he goes, and who maybe Obama may pardon when he starts his new job.

I'll start with Conrad Black home before Xmas.

OTF pardon pool

Excellent idea for a thread.

I think that there is a real(though less than 50%) chance that we will see prospective pardons of Cheney, Yoo and other flat out evil people who should be facing at least the International Criminal Court with respect to torture and war crimes.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

What are the chances of Bush invading Iran or someone else before January? One last "yee haw", perhaps?

Just saying.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Can he do pardons on spec? Is that in the Constitution?

I thought Conrad Black was Canadian.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Black is, but he's in the US penal system. I was wondering about him myself. Thing is, I don't think there's any personal or political connection between Bush and Black that would prompt such a thing on a 'personal favour' level. However, if someone lobbies Bush on Black's behalf, it could happen. I'm not betting on it, though.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Scooter Libby's the obvious choice, isn't he?

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Ted Stevens?

Comment

OTF pardon pool

He'd have been my second choice.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

OJ?

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Thing is, I don't think there's any personal or political connection between Bush and Black that would prompt such a thing on a 'personal favour' level.
                    Well, there is the Richard Perle connection, but he's more Cheney's mate.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

George W. Bush

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Villain may have called it. Front page of the Globe & Mail today has a story about Conrad Black's lawyers pursuing a pardon or a commutation. They say it might be a slim hope, as Bush has a history of being one of the least pardoning Governors and Presidents ever. Apparently Bush has already received 2,000 pardon petitions. That ought to keep his lips moving for a few months.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Prospective pardons may not be in the constitution, but there's an enormous precedent or two: Ford pardoned Nixon without the latter having been convicted of a crime - if memory serves, either Reagan or Bush 41 did the same for Caspar Weinberger (and/or others implicated in Iran/Contra).

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Dubya has already commuted Libby's sentence, I'm not sure that he would be interested in spending political capital just to allow him to vote and possibly get his law license back. He doesn't need the license to make scads of money as a lobbyist and consultant.

Bush 41 was the one who pardoned Weinberger et al.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Not much of interest so far.

One drug importing rapper who went to prep school with the son of Carly Simon and James Taylor.

And a poisoner of bald eagles.

Do better.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Lord Black got a mention in the CNN article in the 'other notables who've applied' paragraph. I thought it was encouraging (for him) that his application has at least become noteworthy. I don't like his odds, though. Saying things like "my legendary infatuation with the USA now long since over" (give or take a few words) isn't a good way to ingratiate yourself with those from whom you hope to receive a pardon.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

As Matthey Yglesias noted - neither Bush 41 and Bill Clinton could resist tarnishing their comparatively towering legacies with awful, tawdry, cynical pardons; it's hard to imagine Shrub showing any restraint at all.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Michael Milken is among those lobbying for a pardon.

There's also this.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

I love Sadly, No! so much.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Heh.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

Just the interesting bit from today's Toronto Star:

"In Washington, a spokesperson for the Office of the Pardon Attorney, part of the justice department, confirmed Black requested leniency rather than an outright pardon.

Experts rated Black's chances of success minimal, particularly in light of the financial crisis.

"Black is just not worth it to Bush," said Peter Henning, a law professor at Detroit's Wayne State University."

Comment

OTF pardon pool

I would like to pardon the director of the new Robin Williams film... 'age shall not wither...', nope sorry. still unlikeable outside his standup.

Comment

OTF pardon pool

aah, I missed the point.

Comment

Working...
                                              X