Coming to London, please entertain me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've managed to trick my employer into sending me to That London in late November (26-30) under the pretence of attending a conference.

Any chance of an OTF-a-thon or two?

Also, I'd like to take in a football match that Saturday. I see AFC Wimbledon are playing at home on the 29th. Is anyone going and would they mind if I tag along? I promise not to mention Gjelsten and Drillo.

Spurs are also playing at home that day and I'm not too fuzzy about the quality on show so that's an alternative, I guess. Is it difficult to get tickets?

In short, I'd like some company for drinking and football. I promise not to embarass anyone but myself.

p.s. I've got a hotel room for the first two nights, at the same place the conference is held, but I need a place to stay Friday and Saturday night so if anyone can recommend a cheap and fairly central hotel I'd be grateful.

Spurs are playing on the Sunday rather than the Saturday (Home v Everton 0-0)

Comment

Count me in for football and beers.

Comment

November 29th is FA Cup 2nd round day, so the prospect of seeing us at home that day is dependent on various other factors.

I won't be able to make it anyway, which is a real shame, but The Littlest Grundy will be undergoing a 7-hour bilateral cochlear implant operation the day before, so my attention will be on matters domestic.

Have fun, y'all.

Comment

PM4PG

Comment

Otto, i am in Sweden that weekend with the wifey, but i can do the 26th and 27th (sorry i didn't get to meet you when in Oslo). If you want to attend the spurs match i can leave my season ticket with Fritz and you can meet him and attend.

Comment

TG that's extremely kind of you, but unfortunately I'm leaving on the Sunday and as JtS said, the game has been moved to Sunday so I won't be able to go to WHL this time around.

I'm in town from Wednesday so hopefully we can meet up before you go to Sweden.

PG that's a shame. Hope everything goes well, I'll be thinking of you and TLG. Fingers crossed.

EIM, great! Looking forward to it. I owe you plenty of drinks for keeping me entertained at work.

So anyway, here's hoping AFC Wimbledon make it to the second round and get a home game.

Comment

No problem Otto.

Hopefully, we can meet up and you will not be spirited away to North London's equivalent of Honefoss in the middle of the night.

Comment

Ha! I would love to see the North London equivalent of Hønefoss. That would really be entering the twilight zone.

I guess I could start a OFT-athon thread a little closer to my arrival to see who's up for it.

I hope WornOldMotorbike can make it this time.

Comment

I will probably be around for a pint or two at some point.

Comment

A week from now I'll be arriving in That London, staying until Sunday. I'll be up for a beer or ten if anyone wants to meet up. I'm very flexible as far as time and place is concerned. If someone could organize a mini-thon, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'd also welcome suggestions of things to do apart from drinking, good places to eat (what was that amazing pizzeria in Brixton someone raved about a while a go for instance?), and other good advice. Any good gigs, football matches on? That sort of stuff.

What's the best option, public transport wise, when spending five days in the capital? Is there such a thing as a four of five day pass?

I'll be based in Camden. Any good pubs around there? Places to avoid?

Comment

Get an Oyster Card (£3 from any underground station.)
                        Whack some money on it at the machines.
                        It will automatically top out at the travelcard rate for wherever you go. It is also about 50% cheaper than paying the cash fare.

Comment

The best chance I've got for meeting up - which I'm ever so keen to do - would be the Friday evening.

Comment

This thread had a few ideas of what to do in London.

I can't do Friday though as it's P's 30th Birthday.

Comment

Quinn's on Kentish Town Road is great. About 90 different beers. The Vic on Mornington Terrace is nice and cosy. Avoid The World's End.

For food, definitely check out the Bento Cafe on Park Road.

Comment

I hope WornOldMotorbike can make it this time.
                                Regrettably,...*sigh*...

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                  Quinn's on Kentish Town Road is great. About 90 different beers.
                                  What the hell???

Why aren't we having the OTFathons in there, for gawd's sake?

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                    This thread had a few ideas of what to do in London.

I can't do Friday though as it's P's 30th Birthday.
                                    We could come round your place and watch.

It's not far, after all.

Comment

Because you only need one beer?

Comment

Stamina a problem, is it?

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                          Because you only need one beer?
                                          This is where I say "For an entire lifetime?" and you say "Yes". Then we all say...

"WRONNNGGG!!!"

Comment

Why aren't we having the OTFathons in there, for gawd's sake?
                                            Good question.Probably because they tend to be more central.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice, people.

Basically, I'm in town every night Wed-Sat, and if anyone wants to meet up, just suggest a time and place and I'll make sure to be there. It doesn't have to be a pub with 90 different beers, but a decent selection of good ales would be nice.

Is there an AFC Wimbledon game on the Saturday, and if so is anyone on here going?

Comment

I'm determined to get to one of these, and this sounded like a great time to try and tag along.

Except I'll be in the frozen North that weekend, with it being my birthday and all.

Bums.

Comment

Ex OTFer Mackstress has a live music/DJ evening in Clerkenwell on Wednesday. Come along!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X