iTunes query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iTunes query

Why is it that the iTunes on my computer, which could once hold about 7000 songs, now can't hold more than 5200 without a message flashing up saying that my hard disk is almost full?

iTunes query

You've filled up your hard disk with all kinds of other crap?

Comment

iTunes query

One of the "songs" will be a complete performance of Licht, knowing wingco.

Comment

iTunes query

No. Just my writing.

Comment

iTunes query

I'm guessing that your iTunes contains a lot of long pieces that are 15 minutes or more in length. These particular MP3s will of course take up way more space than a common-or-garden four-minute pop song.

Go to your music folder, right-click on Properties and see how much space it is occupying on your hard drive. Then, for an overview, go to My Computer and right-click on your C drive to see how much space is left on your computer in general.

At some stage you may have to bite the bullet and get yourself an external hard drive.

Comment

iTunes query

When you delete songs from iTunes, do you delete them completely (i.e. the entry in the iTunes library and the file itself) or just the entry in the library? iTunes gives you the option to do either when you hit delete, so you could have a hard disk full of files that have just been removed from the library.

Comment

iTunes query

Crusoe, no, I just trash 'em. HB and Andy C, you're right, it's well known that I don't hold with this new fangled so-called modern "pop" rubbish, the Bewitched Babes and all, and my idea of a song is The Sinking Of The Titanic by Gavin Bryars (an hour and a bit), The Necks' "Hanging Gardens" (ditto) or some Villalobos Berlin bootleg live mix from Limewire (one hour 48 mins). Even so, I'm not sure that quite accounts for the disparity. Herr Bosch, re the procedures you outlined - they didn't sound very Mac . . .

Comment

iTunes query

Oops. Sorry, I don't know how to do an inventory of disk space on a Mac.

Comment

iTunes query

Ah, no worries wingco, sorry I'm not familiar with Mac disk space calculations either.

Comment

iTunes query

I think (I'm not in front of one now) clicking on your harddisk icon then going to File>Get info should give you your disk space

Comment

iTunes query

Finder > Macintosh HD - at the bottom of the finder box.

Comment

iTunes query

Crusoe, are you saying that deleting a file from your iTunes library doesn't remove the file from your My Music folder?

I know that if you delete files or folders from your playlists they remain in the library, but it was my impression that once it is deleted from the lbrary, it goes into the Recycle Bin.

wingco, could it be that you have your music stored on your harddrive, from were you import it into iTunes? If so, then iTunes copies the file into the default Music folder. Which means that you might be running out of disc space because every music file you have in iTunes exists twice.

To check for size of a folder or drive, highlight it and click Apple-I to get the Get Info dialogue box.

Comment

iTunes query

Yes - when you delete it gives you the option to keep the original file and just delete the library entry, or move the file to the recycle bin as well (at least under XP).

Comment

iTunes query

I have just downloaded the Duffy album from I-tunes and want to put it onto Mrs Bored's MP3 player. How do I turn the songs into MP3s?

I know that, if you right-click, there is a "turn magically into MP3" option but I don't know where it puts them as it isn't in I-tunes

Comment

iTunes query

If you Google for "MediaCoder", there's a piece of software you can get that converts more or less anything to more or less anything.

Comment

iTunes query

If you've downloaded it from iTunes, they'll already be MP3s won't they? They're MP3 merchants.

If you can't find the files, either right-click and choose 'Get info' or press Ctrl and I and you'll be able to see where the file is stored on your computer.

Comment

iTunes query

Aren't they M4As or something ridiculous on Itunes? (I've never used it, so I'm claiming ignorance on the matter)

Anyway... here: http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Comment

iTunes query

Thanks everybody and I think I've found what it is - my backup files from emusic. Them's the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                                    X