Cookalong with Rogin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookalong with Rogin

1. Get some feta cheese, some walnuts and some lettuce. Chop them up, bung 'em in a bowl with some vinaigrette and slap 'em on a plate.

2. Rub a couple of salmon fillets with lemon, dill and mustard. Wrap them in shortcrust pastry, and bung them in the oven for half an hour on gas mark 6. Get some spuds and broccoli on the boil to go with your fish pasty.

3. Blend up some hazelnuts, cinnamon sticks and biscuit crumbs while steaming some rhubarb in sugar and ... actually don't bother arseing about with this bit, just buy some Ben and Jerry's.

4. Invite a mild psychotic into your house to shout "Twat!" at you while you're doing it, and storm out calling you a "Wanker" for forgetting to sprinkle parsley over the spuds.

Cookalong with Rogin

Wow, that is the best break-up post I've ever read.

Commisserations Rogin, but it sounds like she's not worth it.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I don't want to say "I told you so", but I always thought that Rogin and Nigela Lawson were a poor match.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Is it alright to be really saddened but also laughing my arse off at this?

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I think Rogin is referring to this

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

any possibility of changing the thread title to 'Paint along with Nancy'?

No? ok then.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

If you are thinking of watching the show tonight, make sure you check this thread first.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I don't understand what happened.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Reed, there is a particular phenomenon in the UK at the moment called "celebrity TV chefs". About half of the BBC's output is comprised of their shows.

They show us how to cook, they joke about their restaurants (and plug them endlessly) and their recipe books make up about 75% of the Christmas bestseller list market.

Some of them are very sexy (Nigella Lawson, Gianni the Italian bloke), some of them are very worldly- wise (Rick Stein, Hugh Fearnley Up-My-Own-Arse, Ken Hom), some of them are outright twats (Gary Rhodes, Jamie Oliver) but the king of them is a dour Scot called Gordon Ramsay, whose ouvre consists entirely of trying to show other chefs, and members of the public, how to cook simple food well, and then (despite never properly explaining what they're meant to be doing in the first place, he has the managerial skills of a seagull) screaming foul-mouthed abuse at them when they get it wrong.

Their recipes are good, though, I can't deny - follow the BBC homepage website through to food, and the recipe search. Type in pretty much any ingredients, or name of dish, you'll find several recipes that work well.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I understand all of that. Gordon Ramsey is on here too.

I don't understand what happened to you and if this refers to a breakup that happened to you and if so if it was the most current situation or your former wife.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

On the subject of Ramsay, by the way, I will make a recommendation to anyone flying long-haul out of Terminal 5:

It's worth your while spending a little cash and eating at Ramsay's "Plane Food" restaurant in the terminal. All the food I've had in there has been really good so far, and the setting is bizarrely pleasant for an airport. Particularly recommend the butternut risotto.

Eat there instead of on the plane, especially if you have an overnight flight - so can ignore the grim microwaved fare on offer and fall asleep earlier and have a much better chance of escaping the jetlag.

To be honest, I've yet to be disappointed by a Ramsay restaurant. That side of what he does, he does very, very well.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I don't understand what happened to you and if this refers to a breakup that happened to you and if so if it was the most current situation or your former wife.
                        Oh good God no, Reed, it's nothing to do with me. Earlier posters were mocking me. My girlfriend's safely tucked up in bed as I speak, having just savoured (indeed I would say devoured) my penne napolitana, with a long-simmered and therefore broken down sauce of tuna, tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano, peppers, anchovies and olives.

Ramsay's got a new version of his show on Channel 4 in the UK tonight, called "Cookalong with Ramsay". People are meant to go on his website, buy the ingredients, and then follow his instructions from their kitchens as he shows them how to do it live.

Why anyone would want to wait until 9 on a Friday night to eat a 3-course meal is a mystery.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Reed: I suspect that may have been an attempted misappropriation of the thread. (Rogin: you and your girlfriend are ok?)

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

I'd argue that most sides of what he does, he does very well. He just rubs people the wrong way while doing it. I'd say the same of Jamie Oliver, who I also quite like. Nigella rubs me the wrong way, which is a real shame.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

He is actually shit hot at cooking. I have been privileged enough to have eaten food that has been cooked while he was screaming in the kitchen. It was extraordinarily good. I mean really. Fortunately, it tasted even better because I didnt have to pay for it. The price was extortionately high.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                Nigella rubs me the wrong way, which is a real shame.
                                Do I need to extrapolate on this?

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Oh, ok.

I've seen his Kitchen Nightmare show where he goes into restaurants that are being run very poorly and screams at them a bit. In the episodes that I've seen, this is just what they need because they all eventually agree to listen to them and get their shit together and then they do a "Where are they now?" segment showing how well everything is going thanks to his intervention.

However, I'm told that some of his interventions don't work out so well.

I don't think I'd want him as a manager or a cooking teacher, but on that show, the people really do need to be screamed at. It's their only hope of saving their business from themselves. Sometimes they're really bad at managing inventory or whatever, but some of them are really vile and vermin-infested.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Do I need to extrapolate on this?
                                    Do you need to extrapolate on this? Okay, if you want.

Do you want me to extrapolate on my comment? I will if you want.

I think Nigella is attractive, but annoying.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

the people really do need to be screamed at.
                                      You see, I so want to be allowed to do this as a consultant (which is is effectively what Gordon is on these shows) but I'd get sacked if I called one of my "partners" a wanker and stormed out.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                        Why anyone would want to wait until 9 on a Friday night to eat a 3-course meal is a mystery.
                                        We usually eat around nine.

Comment

Cookalong with Rogin

Nine courses is all very well, but every Friday?

Comment

Working...
                                          X