Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O tempora, O mores

Latin A level to be scrapped

The choice agenda at work in education, no doubt.

O tempora, O mores

Yikes. I hope this doesn't affect my brother badly.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

I once reviewed the episode of Spooks where Lisa Faulkner's character controversially has her face pushed into a deep fat fryer by a villain. I ended with the phrase: "O tempura, O mores!"

This is probably the highlight of my career to date.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Comment

O tempora, O mores

The Horse wrote:
          I once reviewed the episode of Spooks where Lisa Faulkner's character controversially has her face pushed into a deep fat fryer by a villain. I ended with the phrase: "O tempura, O mores!"

This is probably the highlight of my career to date.
          Excellent work.

Man, imagine if someone had edited that out cos they didn't get it, or altered it so it didn't make sense.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

I was feverishly imagining this in the days between writing it and seeing the print version, believe me. But if you attach a note saying "THIS IS A JOKE SO DON'T CORRECT IT, YOU STUPID FUCKS" people get all uppity and hurt.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Is this the Giles Coren thread?

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                WTF?

Comment

O tempora, O mores

It's a screen grab from The Machine Girl, one of the most awesome films of all time. It's a very similar situation to the one Horse describes, except it's her arm.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Oh man. This sucks arse. Tubbs I'm saddened you don't mention Greek in your post, too.

Universities have been geared up for years to the fact that they need to offer Greek from scratch to classicists, and I think most now will have a beginners' Latin programme too. But if the languages are at best 1/4 of an A-level now it's going to put people off classics degrees even more because there'll be so much extra work.

i dunno. Universities everywhere have brilliant classics departments doing excellent research (ahem) and it's a real shame that there will be more barriers for kids to be part of that.

And also what a dumbarsed comment about it would be more interesting with a bit of history or art in. Of course you cover those areas in a praditional language based A-level just like any language A-level. What they actually mean is, they think kids no longer have the attention span required to sit around memorising the aorist optative of various deponent verbs.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Why is that link so old???

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                        It's a screen grab from The Machine Girl, one of the most awesome films of all time. It's a very similar situation to the one Horse describes, except it's her arm.
                        Fucking hell. I need to see this film.

Oh, and sorry for the threadjack.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Nah, I also now really need to see that film too.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Fucking HELL

Comment

O tempora, O mores

That trailer made me feel sick. I don't know how people watch that kind of stuff.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

I did put up a post about The Machine Girl and have mentioned it at OTFathons on several occasions, but nobody's expressed any interest before.

ad hoc - if it was just gore, I'd agree with you. But it's also incredibly silly.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

You can count me interested.

Ad Hoc - I'm no big fan of gore myself, but when it's so absurdly graphic, and so clearly unreal, it takes on a kind of comic quality. At least to my mind. Ichi The Killer was still a bit of a trial at times, though.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Well, that much was obvious. But I'm not sure if I could wade through the rivers of blood to get to the silliness

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Well, most of the time the two are simultaneous. Like the time the chief villain tortures the heroine with her drill bra.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Where would you put it on a scale of nought to Tetsuo? So long as it's only people being carved up, gore is ok by me.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

What's the axis? Gore? Fucked-upness?

Anyway, I haven't actually seen Tetsuo, but it's definitely less bad-gory than, say, a Takashi Miike film. There's maybe one scene where the silliness doesn't completely outweigh the unpleasantless. Think Braindead but with more emphasis on OTT Japanese cool stuff like biker ninjas and gatling gun arms and less zombie killing. Incidentally, if you want OTT Japanese zombie killing, I recommend Wild Zero or Versus.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Dunno really. It was the body parts being drills that made me think of that particular iron man. I spose I meant in terms of turning the stomach, really.

I just wrote something about gore and contextualising within generic tropes but I think it needs a bit more thought before I inflict it on the public. But it is interesting.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

I wouldn't say any of it really turns the stomach unless you blanche at any level of gore. There's no way to take it seriously, it's not remotely realistic, and for the most part it just consists of implausibly powerful sprays of blood and dismemberment.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

I haven't seen this particular film, but for me, gore = bore.

One carefully-placed trickle of blood is way creepier than 200,000 gallons of the stuff.

Comment

O tempora, O mores

Or no gore at all. Kill people off stage, like in Greek tragedy and have a messenger come on.

Back to the main topic anyway. It illustrates a favourite (heavy irony) principle of mine- the way something can be killed off/cut and the axeman will claim that he's doing it for the good of the victim. Does anyone think the purpose of this is to "revitalise" classics? Or save money? No doubt Beeching said the same thing about railways.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X