Children’s art – a review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for a particular image, I happened to stumble upon the first one below. And I thought to myself; kids get away with anything nowadays.
    When we was kids we had to wake before the rooster, wake him, so he in turn could wake the parents, then we had to walk half 9 miles to school where, IF we were lucky enough to be sat drawing pictures, we didn’t have no crayons, we had to punch hole in our index finger with a rusty nail and paint with our own blood. And if so much as a line was bent that shouldn’t be bent we would be struck by our teacher over the knees with the morning star he kept in the bottom drawer of his desk.

Consistency is poor, with an off-centered purple shade thrown in at a whim. A desperate attempt at ambiguity, with the arms replaced by the symbol of the cross of Jesus, and how non-functionalistic the artists approach of describing the growing child to the far left, the man to become, by making his leg longer than a giraffes neck. Father to the very right, stripped down naked in his futile attempts to provide, running on the thin line between being a good father and husband, or murdering the lot with blunt edge of a brick.

Rating: 1+
    -------

OK, which mother ever allow its child to see her right after a good shag? It’s evident this kid has, on the hair. How else would he have come up with it?
    A 1960’s style dress in what’s obviously a 1990’s wallpaper in the background? Not to mention hairy armpits, and a missing nose. I can live with the hands and the missing fingers. It’s evident that the artist is trying to tell us it’s how he feels when painting. Like someone who cut off a couple of his fingers. Still.

-------

Why there’s grass growing on this monkey’s chest, and why the monkey keeps a penguin dipped in a bucket of yellow as a pet is beyond me, but it’s a nice composition. Too bad it’s a rip-off of Turkish painter Osman Hamdi Bey’s “I walk my banana stem in the park every day”

Rating: 2+

-------

Useless symmetry, with chimneys pointing in all directions, but a nice political statement in color, with only the top floor owning windows, the bottom floor none, it’s an interesting description of upper-class vs. lower-class, and a solid contribution to the ongoing debate.

Rating: 3+

-------

Not often one finds sex-crazed 6 year old artists, which certainly makes this piece interesting enough. But lad, what with the black moon, and why does he tree look like it’s eaten all of its own apples, the bunch of them rotten?
    It would be interesting to see the second installment in this series.

Rating: 3+

-------

Lazy, crazy bum! It’s obviously a princess about to get laid with a frog, but where’s the bed? They will make a fine couple, no doubt, the frog and the princess with barbed wire on top of her instead of arms.

Rating: 2+
    -------

Oh, this I like! A red 1958 Aston Martin DB Mark III running out of gas on countryside road outside Rimini, Italy. Fantastic!

Rating: 5+

-------

A square-shaped sun, a multi-colored snail that can fly, an ill-fitted roof on a grassy knoll and children in poor mans Halloween outfits in the background. How cliché! Been done a million times. I like the Albatross flying the sky in Star Wars X-wing position #14, though.

To summarize: KIDS, DO BETTER!

2002, dude.

Comment

How not surprised I am

Comment

Working...
      X